Lewisville Report

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bobby-catfishing, Apr 2, 2007.

1. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Had the pleasure of fishing with Matt and Lauren yesterday on Lewisville. This was Lauren's first fishing trip ever and did very well. To say the least, they had a great time and caught some great fish. All channel cats this time up to 4 lbs. We used slip cork rigs with Sure Shot in less than 3' of water. Most fish were scattered and caught along rip rap. Came up short of a limit, but they still had 2 bags full of fillets.

2. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a great day. What size hooks do you use with the Sure Shot? I love the stuff and have tried out several different size hooks but still trying to find out which one grabs the best amount of bait.

3. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    I usually start with #4's. It we start missing quite a few fish then I'll change to a #6. This will let me know if we're into a bunch of small fish. We caught them on both sizes yesterday. I usually add some cat tail fuzz to my Sure Shot as the weather warms. It helps it stay on the hook a little longer.

4. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks. I usually use #4 and sometimes #2. Does a #6 grab the bait? I add cotton balls to it when the weather warms.

5. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    I usually don't have any problems with #6's holding the bait. Bigger fish will sometimes swallow the smaller hook. Not a big deal. I'll cut it off, box the fish, tie on another and get back to fishing. I always and stress ALWAYS rebait after every cast with punch bait. That fresh strong smell is what brings them in and starts the feeding frenzy. It's just another method of chumming, but with a hook attached. Bait is cheap compared to time spent on the water and not catching anything. I bet I don't go more than 3 or 4 minutes without rebaiting while cork fishing and 5 or 6 while bottom fishing.