Lewisburg / Williamsport Area ??

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Louie, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    I was wondering how the cat fishing is near there. I know its close to the river just wondering how the cat fishing is and whats the preferred method and what type of cat fish.
    Thanks,
    Louie

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I used to live about 25 miles upstream from williamsport. A lot of channelcats in there.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Jay is the fishing better in the Mon than it was for you in the suskie? You lived 25miles upstream from williamsport, right? you must have been pretty close to lock haven.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I lived right in Lock Haven. Most of the river above Lock Haven for a ways is still polluted with acid mine drainage. You'll find fish here and there but you would rarely see anyone fishing.
    I used to do most of my fishing right below Lock Haven where the Bald Eagle creek dumps in.
    There are a lot of channel cats in there that usually get around 33 inches max.
    It's good for smallmouth, walleye and a few musky too.
    Last year on New Years day I caught a limit of walleyes on crankbaits.
    I think they've been stocking it with shad fingerlings too. The smallmouths probably ate them right up.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would catch a lot more cats in the suskie than I ever did in the Mon, but the Mon has a better variety of fish, plus flatheads.
    Still looking for good spots to try on the Mon. Haven't found the honeyhole yet.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    if you ever feel homesick for those parts, lock haven is a drive.. but doable. Plus I really like a good channel cat bite. :wink:

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You wouldn't know how to act with all those channelcats.:big_smile: LOL!