Lewis & Clark Expedition

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Jun 25, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been reading Undaunted Courage, Steven Ambrose's book about the Lewis & Clark Expedition and they mentioned camping at the fork of the Platte River and the Missouri river. They made entrys in their logs about the "great quantities of catfish" that they caught the night they got there.
    This got my wondering, how many of you people live near the route of that expedition? They also mention the Kaskaskia, the Osage,the Kansas, the Grand, the Little Sioux,the James, the Gasconade, and others.
    How many of you have thought about all the famous people in American history that have fished, paddled, hunted along the same water that Lewis & Clark explored? I would love to follow that route thru the country. How about you?

2. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Flathead Willie,
    Myself, TA2D, and crazycade all grew up around the path that Lewis and Clark followed along the Missouri and to the confluence of the Missouri and the Platte River. We've all fished the same waters they did, but I don't think they have anywhere near the amount of catfish, and size of catfish that they had over 200 years ago. There's a museum for Lewis and Clark where I was born in Nebraska City.

Shane

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like that adventure could be a lot of fun. but it would cut into fishing time and thats something you never get back lol

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    they had the ultimate adventure. The Lewis & Clark Monument i Vinncenes (sp) In. is a great place to visit and learn about them. I highly recommen it if you are aroud there. These me were fearless and truly heros.

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Wilie I have read that book also and keep going back Stephen Ambrose is dead now ( not to long ago) but he organized an annual canoe trip along some of the Lewis and Clark route. There may stil be a group asociated with this. Ambrose was a great writer he also gave us the band of brothers.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Willie, my dad read that shortly before retiring (I have read it several times as well).
    The first big thing Dad did after retiring was retracing the expeditions path. He took 6 weeks+ and followed the trail from St. Louis to Oregon. He slept along the trail most of the time, fly-fished a great deal of the water, and had a grand time.

I don't know that I have envied another trip as much as that one.

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Haven't read the story yet but I'm going to now.

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
  9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, those guy were brave men and had a great adventure. Just think what a fishing trip you could have doing the trip from west to east along all the great fisheries they explored. It would be a fantastic float trip thru some great places that are still full of fish and game and history.
    Arlington would have to drive it because there are alot of snakes and bears along the way. Sorry John! LOL

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    John, nobody uses pine cones anymore. Corn cobs are the thing now!

11. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    2years ago stepson n i were fishin at Rocky Point near Tell City In. well the Lewis n Clark expidition was there passin thru on a reinactment of there journey. it was real neat they have the same kindof boats n everything. every so often they do this, retrace the original trip. i usta have there website but lost it on an old pewter. very good site with captains log that was interesting.

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I just finished the book about Lewis & Clark's expidetion and learned an embarrassing fact that my teachers didn't tell me in history class. Meriwether Lewis spent the last month of the journey laying on him belly in a canoe because one of his own men shot him in the a$$ with a .54 caliber rifle thinking he was an elk! He didn't look much like an elk. They must have had some tall skinny elk back then. Then Clark had to clean and dress the wound that went all the way thru every day. I bet he was more pi$$ed off about it then Lewis was!

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    This is a little off topic, but I live close enough to Hannibal, MO and I've often though about all of the history with Mark Twain there. That kind of stuff is also neat to me.