The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Lew’s XSJ 10, mounted on a Lew’s IM 7 XfinityXJ Speed Stick. I believe it came loaded with 10# line (or thereabouts).
I put 12# on it. Not enough line because of the diameter of the line.
Yesterday, I bought some PLine CX Premium 6#. Moss green

what is the difference between fluorocarbon and fluorocarbon coated line?
This line is (as my old uncle used to say) finer than cat hair.
I fish a lot at night and I don’t know if I’ll be able to see it in the led light from my lantern.

I wanted line that my reel could take more than 80 or 100 feet of with no problem. But, there’s my old eyes to contend with.

Is there any other light I could use to make it more visible?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Flouro coated line is just a mono core with a flouro coating wrapped around it essentially. It doesn't have the same refraction index as a pure flouro line so it doesn't disappear in the water quite as well. But in my experience it seems to to have a bit more stretch and holds a knot a bit better, but that's more opinion then any controlled testing in my garage 😅 I used to use Pline flourclear pretty exclusively for trout fishing since it was the only line I could find in a 3lb test on a regular basis. Only real downside I ever had with a coated line was getting in a hurry and not getting enough lube on my knots as I tightened them. You can "burn" that coating off pulling a dry knot tight.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.
When I put it on my reel ( no lake “testing” yet) I encountered the only downside so far.
I have a hard time seeing the stuff, so (maybe) the fish will have the same disadvantage. :)

It will be my bait rig for bluegill, etc, anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the information.
When I put it on my reel ( no lake “testing” yet) I encountered the only downside so far.
I have a hard time seeing the stuff, so (maybe) the fish will have the same disadvantage. :)

It will be my bait rig for bluegill, etc, anyway.
I'm right there with you on not being able to see my line sometimes and I'm using 30# berkley solar green

1 - 4 of 4 Posts