leverevolution ammo

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by massa_jorge, Sep 25, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i had a few questions about this ammo. i might be picking up a marlin 336 in .30-30, and i was wondering if this ammo would perform well in this rifle. i know marlin made another levergun just for this ammo that has a different rate of twist. however, hornady says on the pistol bullets its ammo increases performance in the shorter barrels. has anyone used this ammo in a 'regular' rifle? any info would help, thanks.

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yep, we shoot it in my cousin's 336 with great results. Regular 20" barrel, blued, wood stock lever gun. Even in the 20" barrel, it's a totally different ball game. We get groups from 1" to 1.5" with it at 100 yards. We haven't used it on deer yet, but I have total confidence in shooting 200 yards or more (within reason) with a good rest.

3. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    My Winchester shoots it like buck shot. Several shots were off of an 8X11 target at 100 yds. A friends got the Marlin that was made for it and he is consistently at 1 - 1 1/2 inches with some groups being under 1 inch.
    There was some talk about the older ammo not being the same as the newer stuff, I do not know. The ones I put through mine were definitely when they first came out with it. NOW mine will pattern a 165 grain Winchester silvertip (Combined Technologies) into a 1 - 1 1/2 inch group all day long but they must be loaded individually. The best I did was a 1/2 inch 3 shot group with a 4 power scope at 100 yds. Interestingly enough that was the VERY FIRST 3 rounds of the 165 grain that I shot through the gun. :eek:oooh:

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I had bad luck with some newer wally world ammo..grey box
    Was getting 12" groups in my 94 winchester...that gun always was a tach driver....well i found some old ammo i bought in the 80's and got my sub 2" groups back....always fighting a 20mph cross wind

Led me to reloading my own...I purchaced a lee classic loader for under 27 bucks to my door
    I load a speer 2011 150 grain bullet with 2.2cc of 3031 powder and get 1.75" groups at 110 yards fighting the wind..cheaper than the store bought

I have heard good about the leverrevolution ammo..but i am a poor boy, and you really can kill a deer out to 250 with a 3030 with proper shot placement...

I do some pipeline hunting and with the old flatnose rounds i have taken them to 217 yards with a lung shot...
    .any good grouping round will kill a deer with proper shot placement..

You will just need to try and see what each gun likes. period