leverevolution ammo

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by massa_jorge, Sep 25, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

i had a few questions about this ammo. i might be picking up a marlin 336 in .30-30, and i was wondering if this ammo would perform well in this rifle. i know marlin made another levergun just for this ammo that has a different rate of twist. however, hornady says on the pistol bullets its ammo increases performance in the shorter barrels. has anyone used this ammo in a 'regular' rifle? any info would help, thanks.
  2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

Yep, we shoot it in my cousin's 336 with great results. Regular 20" barrel, blued, wood stock lever gun. Even in the 20" barrel, it's a totally different ball game. We get groups from 1" to 1.5" with it at 100 yards. We haven't used it on deer yet, but I have total confidence in shooting 200 yards or more (within reason) with a good rest.

3. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

Glasgow, Kentuc
    My Winchester shoots it like buck shot. Several shots were off of an 8X11 target at 100 yds. A friends got the Marlin that was made for it and he is consistently at 1 - 1 1/2 inches with some groups being under 1 inch.
    There was some talk about the older ammo not being the same as the newer stuff, I do not know. The ones I put through mine were definitely when they first came out with it. NOW mine will pattern a 165 grain Winchester silvertip (Combined Technologies) into a 1 - 1 1/2 inch group all day long but they must be loaded individually. The best I did was a 1/2 inch 3 shot group with a 4 power scope at 100 yds. Interestingly enough that was the VERY FIRST 3 rounds of the 165 grain that I shot through the gun. :eek:oooh:
  4. swampratt

swampratt Member

I had bad luck with some newer wally world ammo..grey box
    Was getting 12" groups in my 94 winchester...that gun always was a tach driver....well i found some old ammo i bought in the 80's and got my sub 2" groups back....always fighting a 20mph cross wind

Led me to reloading my own...I purchaced a lee classic loader for under 27 bucks to my door
    I load a speer 2011 150 grain bullet with 2.2cc of 3031 powder and get 1.75" groups at 110 yards fighting the wind..cheaper than the store bought

I have heard good about the leverrevolution ammo..but i am a poor boy, and you really can kill a deer out to 250 with a 3030 with proper shot placement...

I do some pipeline hunting and with the old flatnose rounds i have taken them to 217 yards with a lung shot...
    .any good grouping round will kill a deer with proper shot placement..

You will just need to try and see what each gun likes. period