Lever Drag's Anyone? Anybody use the Abu Garcia 7000 Fishing Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Snagged2, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Howdy,,,

Anybody have or use one of the Abu Garcia 7000, or Larger reels, that has the Lever Drag system on it??

Any thoughts, comments, regarding the use of the Lever Drag ?

Thanks,,Greg

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 4 of them 7000 BG lever drag, love them ,good smooth reels !

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 7000, have not used it, but does feel very smooth.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Greg.I have 2,7000 Abu,lever Drag reels and I really like them!! I fish the Missouri River alot and as You know the current is fast anywhere from 4/7 mph,and fishing large live or cut bait with heavy weight it's hard to hold your bait in the location with the clicker on and in free spool,but with the lever drag all you do is flip the lever drag on just a little and you are able to hold in place and still be in free spool and have the clicker on and the fish able to run with the bait and make the reel scream!!! God I Love that sound.It don't get No Better than that in this Old Mans Book.Now Ifin You have a couple of them Bad Boys, and you don't like Um.I would be willing to take them off your hands for 5.00 bucks Each.:wink: LOL You know anything for a Friend,Right.J.D.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've know a couple folks who swear by them , enough in fact that they have gotten rid of all their 6500's and reg 7000's to go w/ the lever drag.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they are a neat tool to add to the arsinal. their best use is what john said fine tuning clicker action. they do take a little getting used to, they are a little tricky casting. i have a penn320ld that i really like now that its broke in.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you dont know anything about the workings the lever has three basic settings, freespool, strike drag, max drag there is a stopper between max and strike drag and a check ball to kick it into freespool from strike drag. so the reel lets you know before you slide it too far. there is also a dial on the side of the lever and it aint for casting :sad2: its how you set your drag the way you want it. you can set it to match a % of your line # when it hits the stopper or however.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the Shimano Charter Special 2000LD.It is great for use like a spinning reel bait feeder as John does.

They also have a strong drag with a large area.This lets them handle a lot of heat.

The paperwork in mine claims that it has 33 lbs.of drag force.It also claims that it has been tested to do this maxed out for 100 miles before you need to replace it!WOW!

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good info , thanks,,

Sounds like a pretty nice system.. with very usable Flatcat features!!

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This might help explain what this reel is all about:wink:

The Ambassadeur® SYNCRO Drag system is a lever drag built right into the handle. You never have to take your hand off of the handle to adjust the drag setting while fighting the fish of a lifetime.

To control a hard fighting fish and prevent line breakage, simply turn the handle backward 1/4 turn which will reduce the drag up to 75% of it's original setting......AUTOMATICALLY!

To reset it to it's original setting and stop that crashing run, just crank the handle forward again..Fish in the boat! The 7000i SYNCRO reel also features the Carbon Matrix™ drag system, has two sheilded stainless steel HPCR™ bearings, corrosion resistant instant anti-reverse bearing, and a line out alarm. Sounds good :wink:

Model No. Ball Bearings Config. Gear Ratio Line Capacity Price
    7000i SYNC 2 Right Hand 4.1:1 17/325 159.99