Lever Drag ,,

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by puddle jumper, Oct 12, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I was wondering what your guys opinion on the lever drag reels is,
    Pro's and Cons...:wink:
    I have one,, but it turned out to be a piece of junk reel,, So its really not a fair test for me to figure out one way or another if I like it...but now I am gun shy... Not really sure I understand how to use one eather,,, do you set it looses "on strike" and then tighten it when fighting a fish??
    Thanks
    Puddle

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have a couple, depending on the fishing I'm doing, is where the drag is set. Lever drag reels take a bit more to get them spinning when casting, but an advantage is knowing how much drag is on by where the lever is set. A bad thing about that tho is the drag lever can be bumped and either tighten or loosen it without being realized.

I usually leave mine in the cast position with the clicker on when catfishing, and put it in strike when the clicker goes off. When I'm flylining bait I leave it in cast until I get a bite. If I'm bottom fishing I will have it on strike. Depends on the hook I'm using too.

I like the ones I have, they are working for me. One thing is its hard to make a small adjustment in line tension.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i fish tha river so its a big ease to use the clicker in current with a LD because you have total ajustment. only downside to a ld that i can think of now is if your casting in currint and get a backlash it can be a big pain to get it under controll without your rig going downstream. if your good with a baitcaster you should be ok with a ld esp an avet with cast controll cause most ld's dont have it.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I got one to play with, a discontinued 7000ld. It's a nice reel but I learned something unexpected, they have a nice big drag washer, cool. They also have more stuff turning with the spool and most have some tension on the spool, even in freespool. So most aren't going to cast that great unless you throw real heavy and they're akward to cast because you gotta move that lever every cast and put it back to retrieve. For just tossing out the side of a boat, no problem. I love setting the drag with one, easy. You set the max drag allowed and that is cool too. I like to be able to use a little drag when I put the pole in a holder with circles. I think it sets the hook better than just the clicker alone.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you MAY have your preset drag set too tight because there should be NO tention in freespool i believe.:confused2:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Avet is one of the few leverdrags that allow you to have true freespool no matter where you have the preset cranked to.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009