Lever Drag Vs. Star Drag

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Matth2083, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey guys....Curious what you guys thoughts are on the Lever Drag system vs the star drag system on the abu garcia models. I currently use an ambassadeur 7000B and am quite pleased with it, im just not 100% pleased with the star drag. Here is a link to the model im curious about trying out, http://store.rogerssportinggoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=793 . It looks like the lever might be easier to operate in clutch moments when you only have a second to handle your drag correctly. Anyways, thanks guys.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Everyone I've talked to that has the lever drag seems to like them better once they get used to the lever. They say they're much faster and efficient. I've not used one as I've got plenty of the star drag reels to last me and my kids a lifetime, LOL.

I've heard though that the lever drag reels won't cast as far as the star drag reels, but for the life of me I can't see any reason why they won't. But then again, I've also heard the rumor that a reel with the higher gear ratio won't throw as far as the one with the lower ratio, but have proved that wrong with my own reels. You never know till you try it.

If you don't like the star drag, then I would get one with the lever, would probably fix what you don't like about the star system.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    as far as ld reels go as far as i know their are verry few that cave cast breaks that sd reels have so casting them is tricker. as far as my opinion on ld and sd adjusting goes lds are quicker yes but cats arent salt water speedsters and if youre worried hes gonna break you off your strike drag is set a little tight to begin with.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Lots of pulled hooks or broken lines/leaders come from people messing with the drag after a fish is hooked. Set the drag correctly when you start fishing and leave it alone. Don't forget to back the drag off when putting your tackle away after the fishing is done. That will help the drag washers work better longer..

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First I have no personal experience with any Abu Garcia reels.I hope to before I die.Lever drag use to be found in the heavier saltwater reels where I fished.I think the smaller ones with L/D you see now are considered a new thing to us older folk (I am 62).I think that they have their place for specialized fishing.Conventional drags do just fine for 999% of all fishing.Some "Goodies" about L/D.You can preset your L/D maximum setting and you will not go over it accidentally while fighting a fish or any other time as you have to Pre-Program your drag to change it.It can be set up to use much like the "Bait Feeders" on spinning reels.It works like the manual clutch on vehicles and means that you can slowly apply the drag and not snatch the hook out of a fast moving fish's mouth.I think this and a more limber or "Slow"rod are more useful for the new braided lines that don;t stretch than the mono's.Now for the disadvantages.Near or at maximum drag the reels get harder to reel.This is a design feature that has not been overcome as far as I know.You can not change your pre-programed Max.or any of the other settings without putting your lever in the free or free spool position.If you do not,you will damage your reel.I have the Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD and love it.I would buy it again.Were I wealthy and could afford any reel,I still would use all of my reels with the conventional drags set at 1/4 the rating of the weakest componate,be it line,reel or rod right along with my L/D.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. derf

derf New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have a Avet MXJ lever drag reel. It is one of the best made reels I have
    ever owned. The machine work is as close as you can get, it has berrings that you wouldn't believe. BUT the drag is single perpose..... There is three
    settings, free spooling, casting,and full drag [fractory set 14 lbs.]
    I inquried at the manufacture as to how I could get a lighter drag setting .
    They said If I would send it back They could make some changes and I would
    have a 6 LB drag.

The prolbem is the three settings are always the same distance apart ,so
    if your drag is set at 0 LB. 3 LB.& 14 LB. so and you change the 0 to 3 the 3 changes to 6. If you change the 14 to 10 then the two lower settings are 0.

I had no idea anyone was dumb enough to build a reel of this quailty with a
    drag this infreior, but once you use it it can not be returned. I GOT SUCKERED.

Any way just make sure the reel has a rachet on the lever with many clicks,
    so you have a choice of settings.

One way to check the quality of a fishing reel is to look it up on Ebay, If there is a lot of them for sale at low prices ,it should tell you something...

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I to have the SD reels that I have used since the first time I tried a Baitcaster reel and know that they work. I have purchased the Shimano and Okuma reels with LD. On the Shimano, it is a Heavy Saltwater reel and works to perfection! On the Okuma, I have a model that is European and it is a Great reel for the price. I have had to return one of these as the gears were striped by a multiple fish catch that tore the gears out while in Norway. (The multiple fish weighed over 100lb.) I had the reel replaced without question by the vendor. I purchased 2 additional models of this reel and Enjoy using them Very Much. I do not cast these reel as it is not required, but having the ability to change the amount of drag pressure is a BIG positive. I have not tried the smaller versions of any LD reel so I can not comment. In principle, the LD will give you a FASTER and more flexiable way to play a fish. I Like them and and know that I have a useful tool while playing a fish.

HOPPY4

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    A good fishermen will adjust the drag as they fight the fish. Either by placing a thumb on the spool or using the drag. I have no problem with the star drag, its right there at my thumb.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Charter folk and guides spend a lot of time preparing and working very hard on their equipment so that their clients can catch fish.Most are very knowledgeable in what they do.When using their gear,it is all ready and set up properly for use in their conditions,including the drags.One of their worst nightmares is Joe Blow "Dragspert" that hires them and knows far more than they do about the drag settings on their equipment.He will constantly use his expertise and superior knowledge to fiddle with the drag every time he hooks a fish.The results are usually few to no fish by the end of the day.Now this is never his fault.It is always the guide or charter not knowing what they are doing and the stripped reels and broken rods are the results of the sorry gear that they furnished.Don;t take my word for this.Just copy this and ask a guide or charter folk to read it.I got this opinion from some of them.Now they have no problem with the ones that make it clear to start with that they are going to fish their way,bring their gear and assume the responsibility for the catch or lack of one.Now having said this,one of the best things about lever drags is that you can set the very maximum drag that you wish to use ahead of time and do not have to worry about accidentally going over it in the excitement of fighting a fish.Now some very talented folk do not need a mechanical drag.Experts with hand lines,hand reels,coke bottles,coffee cans and the old steel beer cans made fine catches with no drag.They were good in their whole body,not just in their minds.Few have that talent.Few will ever gain that level of expertise.I do not understand anyone claiming to have it expecting others to obtain it,as I have seen very few in my 62 years.It is like most fish and shooting skills claimed and has about as many proving what they claim.I do believe that most of us "ain;t that good" including many that believe that they are.We do fine as long as we remember it.I do not believe that a Star or Lever Drag will ever be the best for all folks or all situations no more than I believe no drag or hand drag is.My youngest son commercially hand lined for the largest of fish in the North Atlantic after dwindling stocks caused the laws to change.Hand line or don;t fish!Today he pre sets his drag on a reel and leaves it alone as he is still not as good as the ones who need no drag.I have two Alvey reels that max out with very little drag and any more drag must be by hand.They are great reels for use in clean water where you can utilize the 520 yards of line they hold and follow along from a boat.Now your reel is "yours" to do with as "you" wish and that is what counts in my opinion.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id like to know more about avet. i have a lever drag reel and all the way back is freespool, move the lever forward the reel engauges, move the lever forward for more drag move the lever back for less, their is a stop mid point so you can pre set youre strike drag to a safe amount of drag for the inital hookup so their isnt that over eager over tighting of the drag. other than that i have full control of how mutch drag i have. derf said from what i understand that avet reels have freespool, strike drag, and full drag only? is this true did i read this right because that dosent sound right its a ld reel id assume it would work like mine?

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I also wonder like you do about the Avet.On my Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD I have found that I can set the drag at any point from max to just engaged at exactly what I want,but I have to "accept what is" on the rest of the reels lever range.I also like it that I can take a weighing scale,a short piece of line,get at least one wrap on the spool and set the drag for the maximum amount of drag that I would want to put on my reel.Write down the maximum,the strike and the minimum settings and keep it.I remove the test line and fill the spool with the line that I set the drag for.Now check all of the drag setting again with a full spool for the difference.Write them down.You can now change it all you want,but you can always go back to the original settings if you wish.You need to do this every time you re spool to compensate for wear.Some will be surprised at the drag changes from empty spool to full spool.It will tell you how to compensate as your line leaves your spool.It is a good thing to do and know with any reel of any kind with any drag in my opinion.I like the 33 lb.Max advertised drag on the 2000 LD.It is extremely smooth at my 7 1/2 lb. max. setting and the low end works great like a "bait feeder" on a spinning reel.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i like the idea of a lever drag, but just like was said in earlier posts it is probably unecessary. i wanted one of the penn 220 ld's for a long time but after reading a few reviews, i decided to stick with what i got.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Most L/D reels work the same way. All the way back is freespool, there is full drag "kinda". What that means is there is a stop point on the reel, to apply xtra drag beyond that you have to depress a button. This is not used that much by most fisherman. You can preset your drag on these reels by using the knurled knob. I use these reels for salt water. I use star drag reels for cats and put them in freespool and apply the clicker. I start with the drag on the light side and if I need more I can adjust it, usually I just thumb the spool if I need more. Using your thumb on baitcasters is a great way to +/- drag. Hope this helps.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i got the penn 320ld and its nice, super smooth but im just as happy with my phlueger contender g30 star drag its just as smooth and costs half as mutch.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    And it also makes a difference on how you set your drag position to the rod angle, , meaning if you measure it on a strait pull then it is much different from say 10o'clock and to what rod your using? would this also be correct? Meaning that you are also going to change the amount of drag or can in a fight by changing the angle on the rod, correct? LOL, Geeesh I think to much info maybe......BUT I would like your thought on this Sir, I agree with all I have read, I was watching a show the other weekend on setting of Drag(Mark Sosin & another fella) and I must admit I thought WOW! Felt like I was back in physics class, I love reading all the different thoughts you all have, just wanted to ask your thoughts on this aspect of it, Thanks Fellas

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I personally think that you are 100% right on the rod angle.I think that folk forgetting this is why many fish are lost close to the boat and also why most rods are broken.A long time ago and again a few years ago I got to talk to a representative for a major rod maker.They both agreed that at 45 degrees you start stressing and damaging many fishing rods.The stiffer or more backbone,the more so.That rod you break may have started breaking years ago.I like to add weights to a bucket while weighting it until I get what I want my rod and reel set at.I then like to set my reel with the maximum bend that I am going to put on that rod with that drag setting.I also think that the average person will catch more fish with less drag as a whole even though that is not always possible.All other things being equal,a long limber rod and a light drag are most forgiving.A long stiff rod also makes it hard for a person fishing alone to boat or land a fish.Many now want that stiff rod with their "backbone"and a sensitive tip.That setup does waste the stiff portion of the rod that could be utilized for shock absorbing if the rod was more flexible.There are pros and cons in everything.That limber flexible forgiving rod feels like a wet noodle to old Joe blow redneck who learns to fish on TV and is use to "horsing that hog".A tournament angler does not have time to play a fish and enjoy catching it.He just as well be on the assembly line back at the plant trying to turn out his quota for the day.A lot has to do with what you are fishing for and the conditions you are fishing under.When anything at all is new,I ask around and try what the old hands recommend.What gear and settings that tears them up back at your spot may be useless where you are now at.That is why the many different ways you read on here may all be right for a given time and place.Many never learn this and judge the world by what happens in their pond.Everybody on here knows more about something than the rest of us.That is why sharing this knowledge works.Hope this helps someone somewhere.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Amen to that PeeWee, I feel if ya don't learn at least one new thing on every trip, then you are fooling your self.:big_smile: Keep yer hooks wet!