Lever Drag Systems

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by josh33, Oct 12, 2005.

1. josh33

josh33 New Member

State:
    OGLESBY, JUST BY 30 FOOT
    I was hoping someone could give me some info about baitcasters with lever drag systems. What are the ad and disadvantages of this type of drag. I have no knowlege about lever drags so i am open to all info.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Lever drags allow you to pre set the strike drag on your reel must easer and always at a constantly at the same presser. It also allows you to adjust the drag while fight the fish with out having to take your hand off the handle and turn a star disk. After you land you fish and cast back out you can then set the reel back to the strike setting and not worry about if it is to lose or tight because it is always preset. They also seem to have a bigger drag disk and a smoother operation than a star system

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Josh I have three level drags I use. I mostly use them for flatheads. The reels don't cast well so I use them for flats. I don;t have any complaints with level drags. I would recommend them for bigger fish.

4. josh33

josh33 New Member

State:
    OGLESBY, JUST BY 30 FOOT
    Thanks a lot for the info. It really helped me out. Also GATOR i sent you an e-mail from JGiordano@aol.com about buying a custom rod from you. So check your e-mail and mail me back when you get a chance.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I know this is just a generalized statement but it's not fair to a huge portion of the market. A well built lever drag will cast just as far as any star drag reel. I own about a dozen levers and all of them will out cast my skill level and one will out cast all of my star drag reels.
    The trick is to not get a "trolling" reel. They are not meant to cast there for they arent built with free spool being a priority. Abu has an incredible lever drag, as does my favorite Avet, and Pro Gear will cast about as far as any above average fisherman can sling a hunk of lead.

I'll add one more benefit to Gators very accurate list. With a lever you have a "bait" setting that works the same way as the bait runner spinning reels everyone loves. You can sit-it and forget-it (as Ron Popiel would say), with the bait setting you can have just enough pressure on the spool to keep current from taking line off the reel but no effectual drag so the cat can "run" with the bait until you get to the rod. It works wonders in conjunction with circle hooks, since the fish can have some line and time before it feels any pressure on the line.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Josh I sent you a reply Hope I helped if not let me know or if you wish to tald about it I can and will PM you my phone numbers.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Crucial thanks that is something I forgot and a very good point. However I would like to point out that I have a Shimano TLD 15 trolling reel and man it is a sweet casting reel.

8. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I've heard a few people say that about the TLD's.. I've never cast one (at least not a significant attempt) but I did get to borrow one of my buddys rigs with a TLD while trolling Lake Powell. I can't say its a reel for me, they do seem nice.
    There are just too many other "great" options in that price range, to settle for "good" :D

9. josh33

josh33 New Member

State:
    OGLESBY, JUST BY 30 FOOT
    Yeah i got the e-mail helped me a lot. I e-mailed you back ansering the questions you had and i also asked some questions about the rod material.
    Thanks

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Crucial, you and Abu's bickering back and fourth has got me eyeballing
    LD reels. The avet looks verry handsom capable and $$$$. Im assuming again you get what you pay for. You said "For that matter, Abu has a lever drag model that could just have become my favorite reel of all time if I hadnt got my hands on the avet first " and I was wondering if you or someone else had the same model reels in star and level drag ie. 7500c3, 7500c3LD and how do they compair as far as pulling out line at max drag? Was your statement about abu haveing an incredible reel general or directed to a specific one. All info on LD reels you want to ramble about will be appreciated and read. thanks mutch.