lever drag reel for flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jamesriverman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    I am asking if any 1 has ever used a lever drag reel it seams like doing it jew fish style would make sense just scaled dawn get a torsa,tld, or a penn ld reel with $150 brad and you can fish as close to cover as you wont.

2. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I wanted to try them for Flats. When I catch my Jew Fish down in Fl. I use a 6/0 Penn With #100 braid and a #300 mono leader, and we use the boat to pull them off the wrecks. I like to use the lever drags for trolling.

3. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    Really you use a star drag reel i would use a avet t rex with the bigist line on the market no but really how are they for flatheads.

4. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have an ABU 7000C4LD & love it.

Cody

5. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Yeah. I take a pair of pliers and wench the drag down. Last time I fished for them I caught 2 smaller Goliath. The one was about #450 and the other was #384. My buddy that took me out has caught them around #800.

6. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
  7. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    avet has some small affordable lever drags in the $200 range, but I think the ultimate for a small lever drag would be a Accurate Boss 270 or 870, or a Shimano Torsa in one of the smaller sizes. Either of these reels will produce alot more drag than a 7000 abu garcia if set properly