Levelwind?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SkiMax, May 4, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    hey everybody. i was just wondering what exactly is a levelwind. i have seen reems that say they have it. I don't get it. if anyone could explain and tell me if reels without it are as good i would be forever indebted!

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Here ya go, hope this helps

Attached Files:

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Max, I cant believe that your in college and asking a question like that. Well coming from you yea I can. lol No, Actually a levelwind refers to the paw gear that goes back and forth across the spool keeping the line level on a baitcaster as it is retrieved. An example of a levelwind reel would be any of the 5, 6, 7, 10 thousand ambassedeurs. Vern

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Actually, Vern, it's a "pawl" and Ambassadeur makes many models of baitcaster without a levelwind. Just teasing :big_smile:

I took the levelwind off one of my Penn Levelmatic reels because I was having some trouble. Ingeneral, you will get a little more casting distance without a levelwind, as long as you lay the line out smoothly. It's not hard to get used to laying the line back and forth with your thumb as you reel. Probably not worth it to most folks, though.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mechanical devices to make the line,cable,string,cord,etc.wind smoothly and evenly on spools or reels,in fishing reels,elevators,cranes,drag lines and such.From sewing thread to chain is wound smoothly with mechanical level wind devices.Fishing reels are just one out of thousands of uses for level winds,as they are called.As a industrial mechanic,I am familiar with many different types of level wind.Nearly everything wound smoothly and evenly was done by a level wind.peewee-williams