Levelwind vs. non levelwind

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr. Rooster, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    anyone on this forum have an opinion on which is better for casting distance? I have a couple of penn jigmasters that have been in my closet for years, one is the 500, the other is the 505hs. i have been using four abu 7000c3's since taking up catfishing, but have been wondering how the jigmaster would be for freshwater fishing from the bank.

Eric

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I am no expert on the subject but to the best of my limited knowledge casting distance records have been set with non-levelwind reels . But with that said it depends on the user you have some that have been fishing them (non-levelwind) all there lives and are excellent with them . Then you have others like my self that are still learning that do better with levelwinds , then comes the issue of line lay and if thats something you would be comfortable with while fighting a big fish , hope this helps .

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive got 2 shakespear t 30 and 4 penn 209s.2 of the penns lost their worm gears.i still use them without their levelwinds.cant see a whole lot of dif. in distance but that might be me.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Your Jigmasters should make good reels to fish from the bank.Spool one up and try it.The 505 may be higher geared than the 500.
    Jake

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I use an Ocean City 112 with no level wind at it casts pretty far. I can still get out just about as far with my 109 and 209 tho.

6. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Actually I have heard that the long distance casting record belongs to a Penn 500 jigmaster. I myself uses a 500 and it is a great reel just get some practice throwing it and go to work with it.

7. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    thanks guys,
    i have to admit that seeing those jigmasters in my closet for the last 16 years has bothered me. i grew up in san diego, ca. in the 70's and 80's and back than the jigmaster was king in my book for the perfect all around reel. i was relieved to see that i had loosened the star drags completely before storing them. i especially liked the 505hs jigmaster, I could cast further with it for some reason. i will take them out this weekend.

thanks again,
    Eric

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 2 Penn Squidders that I fished with until I finally tried level winds.
    I now bank fish with the 6500 and 7000 pro rockets. I use 12' rods on all.
    I believe I can cast the level winds farther. The main reason I tried the level winds was because the retrieve rate on the Squidders are very slow.
    I fish in the Mississippi and always have to deal with currents, rocks, and stumps. If you learn to use the level winds, I really doubt you will notice much lost distance. Good luck.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 7000 C3 is a good casting reel that will do most everything well. The Jigmaster is a good reel, but sits too high on the reel seat and heavy.