level wind

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shingman6, Dec 18, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    Does anyone fish with a nonlevel wind and how do you like it for cat fishing? I was thinking about getting a penn senator 112 H.

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I had a Penn LongBeach 65 and 66. Both are non level-wind. They are exactly the same as a level-wind as far as the gears and drag setups are. You get used to using your thumb as a levelwind while reeling in. I traded both reels for a new Penn 230 GTO. I haven't used it yet...but it looks good.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used non-levelwind reels for many years. All you've got to do is form the habit of looping your thumb over the line just in front of the reel so it can guide the line back and forth. It's an easy habit to get into.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grew up with Penn reels non levelwind. Just gotta get use to the thumb action.I actually caught myself still doing it after buying levelwinds. Shoot I must be old. LOL

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you are fishing from a boat for large fish,over fifty pound it would be a great reel.They can be tuned up to cast good for an experienced caster but a little hard for someone starting out with a baitcaster but if you learn to cast it you can cast anything.I have several Penn non levelwind but don't use them much,mostly for shark fishing.
    Jake

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have one reel where the levelwind started giving me trouble, so I just took it off. It's pretty amazing how soon it became totally automatic for me to guide the line back and forth with my left thumb to keep it level. Plus - reels without the levelwind will cast a bit farther.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a couple non-level wind penn reels. I prefer my level wind ones though.I just cant seem to get used to them.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the hardest part is remembering this one has one THIS reel doesent have one this one does

9. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own 15 Penn reels only 4 have level winds. Some of the non level winds actually cast farther than the levelwinds. It is second nature to use my thumb now even with the level winds.

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a Penn International and a Diawa X-30 non-level winds. I like them both. I have no complaints.