Level wind

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, Jan 22, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I appreciate everyone's input. I have a couple of questions. I am in process of removing the levelwind from an ABU 6500C3. Should I replace the bar that houses the worm gear minus the worm gear. Second question, the bar which has the groove in it which the level wind runs in. Can this bar be removed, or does this need to be cut out. I think this bar is part of the cage. Thanks in advance.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    there are conversion kits available so yes remove both bars.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea as to why you are removing the level wind. Basically all you have to do is remove the worm gear and cog from the reel. May want to expoxy the holes left in the reel to keep dirt/sand out. Still don't see why your doing it though.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only bait casting reels I have ever owned have been Penn Squidders and Newells which have no level winds. I bought 2 Abu's with level winds and used last summer. After casting them I think without the level winds, I should be able to cast for more distance. This could be totally wrong, but I don't know. I only bank fish and use 12' casting rods, so distance is important. Thanks for the input.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You probably can get more distance, but not very much. The level wind does create some drag/friction which will take a slight toll on distance casting. However, I would think and additional ounce or even half/ounce of weight would compensate for the friction. If you keep the gears lightly oiled, the reel will preform. Why not go to a field, make a few casts and mark the distance. Then remove the gears and make more casts. Actually see if the distance gained is worth it. Far as that goes, you may advertise your reels in the for sale area and use the money received to purchase reels without the level wind feature. Whatever you do, don't alter the reel so much you can't put it back to factory specs. You could change your mind in a week or two. LOL

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    been following this thread a while and its beyond me why anyone wants to remove the levelwind i wouldnt use one without it jmtcw

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with AwShucks, I dont see a need to remove the levelwind, if u add a little more weight u can a little more distance.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really appreciate all the input from you guys. I think I will leave well enough alone and leave the level winds on. I have to assume I am getting the max distance with the level winds on, because I am casting with a 12' rod with 6oz. weight and cut bait. Like AwShucks stated, I can always sell the level winds. Thanks again.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    How far are you trying to cast? Are you trying to cast to the channel 100yds away?

Wheelmobile07

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There's always a 14 or 15 ft rod. Not always fun to cast, but they'll get you more distance. Also, you could try a lighter line or a braided line.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always fish in the Mississippi at the Alton Dam or up from the locks. The farther I can cast the better.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If it's an ambassadeur you're converting, Jerry Foran at Hookless.com has the parts and is a pleasure to work with. He's got CT conversion bars that take the place of the worm gear bar to fill in the holes and lets your line lay on while at rest. You don't have to cut anything out, they come out of the reel pretty easily.

Another option to keep the level wind is to get a levelwind conversion kit. The C3 to C5 kit has the levelwind, wormgear with two berings, and the carrier tube along with the pawl. It's everything you'll need. I just did this conversion to my 6500 along with new ABEC 7 bearings and got as much as 20 to 30 more yards to my cast with 20lb line and 2oz. weight. This was on a 10ft Meat Hunter rod.

For fishing from the bank and some of the distances I have to throw, it was worth it.