Level wind?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fat_fish55, Jul 16, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of a level wind vs. no leven wind

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The advantages of a levelwind are that you do not have to worry about the line bunching up on one spot of the reel, but at the same time they get less casting distance than a reel without a levelwind. I personally like levelwind baitcasters for my fishing, but it is your need, not mine. If you were to have to get a lot of casting distance, I would go with the non-levelwind. If you dont need to do that, and dont want to have to worry about the line, go with the levelwind.

3. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    leave the level wind on the shop shelf

The gears on a level wind ususally burn out quicker than a reel that you lay the line on manually, I prefer the lever drag to the star drag when fishing for big cats but find a reel that suits your rod for weight and your pocket for cost.

Birds nests are generally less of a burden as well when not using a level wind multiplyer

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Level winds also don't like sand. It can make the reel run bad I imagine. I've never dunked one myself but it would have to be bad. I just pulled one off to see and you can cast a bit farther.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    My new Penn 320, lever drag, has some "Super Levelwind Thingy" and seems pretty bullet proof. That being said, the more parts, the more friction, the less casting distance, not to mention one more part to break! The level wind on your reel is probaly puts more resistance to your casting then any other part on the reel. When playing a fish that is maxing your reel, rod and line, that little bit of extra resistance can cost you a fish! My Tica caiman 205 has no level wind and takes a little thumb education to spool it properly on retrieve. However you are in direct contact with your line on every cast, which gives you more distance and control! Thats how I see it!:cool2:

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i used my shakespeare tidewater 50A(no level wind) for the first time tonight and liked it so far
    do you guys guide the line on evenly when you are retrieving a fish or reeling in fast or do you let it do what it wants and straighten the next cast?

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have been wondering the same thing kc. Is it a constant effort to keep the line level or do you just kind of get by w/your thumb?
    I've thought about getting one of those 525 Mag Penn reels from Hatteras Outfitters because of the extreme casting distances they are ccapable of. The no-level wind thing has scared me off so far. I'll probably get one soon though, they are a sweet looking reel.

whatever it takes

Cheez

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im sure the guiding the line will become not even noticeable after a few trips with it getting used to it
    i sure can notice the smoother cast though with no level wind

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Prefer Levelwinds, I Don't Have All That Thumb Education, I'm Doing Good Just To Cast The Thing.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How can you keep the line level while fighting a fish? Do you even have to worry about keeping the line level?

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like to use levelwinds when boat fishing.When bank fishing I prefer non levelwinds because I usually need a little more distance.Use what you are most comfortable with.I like both and use both.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It gets to be second nature after awhile. Yes you do need to keep it coming on pretty level or your line will build up to one side, hitting the crossbar, which will act like a brake, causing you to maybe, lose your fish!

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have only used Level wind reels for personal fishing! That being said, I have also used Non-Level wind reels when out on paid fishing trips. When this was the case, I actually did not pay attention to the line when it was being retreived onto the spool. I do use my thumb to cast the reels that I own and perform this without thinking now. To this point, I have not done so, but maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I really like the nonlevel winds. You can cast alot further and I just like the feel of them. I have two a Diawa X-30 and Penn International 975CS.

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I hope to see a demonstration at the National Gathering of different types of reels.