Level Wind Vs. Non Level Wind

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmaster Jr., Sep 21, 2006.

Do you prefer Level Wind or Non Level Wind?

1. Level Wind

2. Non Level Wind

3. Doesn't matter.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
  2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Well Zakk, I have only been fishing with non levelwind reels this year, and must say that I prefer them over the other ones. The main reason is that you get the best of all worlds with your fishing. Some advantages:

- No levelwind means no obstructions, especially in the form of knots getting hung up on the worm gear

- Many of them have lever drag systems which I like to give you more precise drag control

- greater casting distance

- birdnests are easier to unravel :big_smile:

I really don't know what the disadvantages are except price. They are generally more expensive than levelwinds across the board...oh you do have to use your thumb to lay the line back on the spool, but it's not a big deal.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Great points Vic, I have gotten so use to using my thumb on the non level winds that I now do it even on my level winds, I always keep my thumb on the line guiding back and forth just like I do on my non level winds...:lol:

They definitely cast a lot longer, and once you get use to winding the line on the reel manually it doesn't get tangled anymore then the level winds do.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use both, but I prefer and voted for level wind.

It seems like on the non levelwinds, I have to spool the line off and back on to keep them casting well. Otherwise I end up with little indentations and valleys forming in the line on the spool that cause backlashes if not addressed.

But nothing beats a freshly spooled non levelwind for casting distance.

5. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    My first reel, a pfleuger summit, in 1956 had a level wind that didn't work that well, so it was removed and i had to learn how to fish without it. After years of level wind and none(salt water Penns) it now is automatic to work thumb and forefinger on the line, so it doesn't matter to me.

6. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I recently started using an old Penn No. 85 reel that was my grandpa's before he passed away in '92. I tried using it about 10 years ago but I did't have a clue how to use it since I was raised on a Zebco 33. Anyway it does not have a level-wind and it works great. I just thought it pre-dated the level-wind. It's good to know that some people actually prefer non level-wind reels.

7. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have allways used lvl wind reels so i dont have an opion for reels without it

8. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL

I would have to agree. I have found that I am not exact enough to see that the line is level as I am retrieving it, on the non level wind reels. I voted for level wind, but now if nonlevel wind is all I had to fish with, I would still be fishin.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

While I have fished with both I prefer the level wind.

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I agree with Vic that they cast better, but I also voted for the Levelwind. I also say that if I had nothing else to use I would pick up the rod and fish without a missed step! When playing a Larger Fish, you are more intrested in working the fish than using your thumb to guide the line in. I also say that to get a Backlash/Birdsnest out is easier with a Non-Levelwind. If you happen to be using lines that have been joined together, the guide on the levelwind can most definitely be a problem with those knots. As I do not casts my LW reels often and the distance requirement is not an issue, I still prefeer LW!!!!!!!! JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    For the smaller freshwater reels, I prefer the levelwinds but for the bigger saltwater rigs I like the non-levelwinds due to the increased line capacity.

You never know when you're going to get a big run from a Wahoo or Tuna. They will burn some yardage FAST:eek:oooh:

12. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Good post James. What is that fish in your avatar? Is that a Wels? Hey, I think I read somewhere that you were fond of spinning reels too. What type do you use?

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    level wind- just seems neater/ easier to keep up to me. I also don't worry about casting distance, Im on a boat and drop my bait

14. Anguluva

Anguluva New Member

State:
    Sri Lanka
    Levelwind for plugging (artificial bait) and fishing after dark. Non levelwinds for bait fishing.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the input everyone, looks like most prefer Levelwind.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hey, Here is a thought for ya'! I recently bpught a himano Stradic (I know I said Shimano again LOL) But on that reel there is an adjustment of sorts for the different types of line you might use on it. For example: If your using Mono then you'll take off the spool and remove a drag washer ,or two, so that it spools in a "v" so the mono unspools off the reel from the back. If your using flouro, then you do the same but add a washer ,or two, so it spools in a "^" pattern so the flouro unloads from the front. I really is a pretty neat thing ,cause I haven't had a birdnest in quite awhile with this system! I just thought I'd mension it to ya'. Your friend Jay!

17. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I voted for the level wind, I have both and I like em both but the level wind feature just makes things a little easier. I usually end up with all the string on one side whenever I have a fish on. the rest of the time I remember though. If I didn't have the level winds I'd probably become better with the the non level winds in time. I use six and eight ounce sinkers in the Missouri River so I don't think the level wind makes much difference as far as casting distance with weights like that.

18. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i voted that it didnt matter to me because i use spinners i have never used LW NLW reels before thinking about it but i just love my spinners.

19. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they both have advantages and disadvantages and iv used both and dont mind either so i voted it doesnt matter

20. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Vic, I have sent you a PM regarding your question and hope that it will answer some of the specific questions that you have. I know that in practicle applications that the Level wind reel will be limited when casting. I also know that I feel more comfortable with it on the reel than without. The avitar is a Wels Catfish from France and it is a 60lb. fish. The spinning gear that I use is for me a better choice. I can and will use baitcasters as well when the equipment is available and have confidence that I can play the fish as well as the next guy or gal. I choose to use Level Wind when a Bait Caster is the reel of choice.

HOPPY4