Level-wind? Terminology?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LadyValea1, Oct 31, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks guys! just learned a new word..
    "Level-wind" but is it: wind as in "moving air, very strong winds?

or wind as in "bend/twist/turn?

the thingy that guides the line on the reel...does it help as in spinnin line in the "air" to keep it level as it is cast a distance threw the "Air"
    or to keep the line level from "twistin" and "turnin" or bendin on the spool?

:embarassed: which wind is it??

2. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    ok...I thought level-wind.. wind as in strong air ..because when you cast into the air or wind it keeps the line level in the and neat as it comes out of the reel...duhhhhhhhh...but you mean the other wind...as it keeps the line level as you reel it in!!! I've got to go to Fishin school.....:embarassed:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Your doing fine, lol. That is what this site is about, learning and teaching. I only thought I knew a lot about fishing until I found this site and I learn something knew everyday.

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Lol...still to this day, when I see the word "Bass" even on stereo equipment.....I keep saying "Bass" as in the fish!! :crazy: :embarassed: :tounge_out: :eek:oooh:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    No such thing as dumb questions !!!. The level-wind feature is to keep the line being wound on the reel in a level/flat pattern, so it doesn't get all bunched up in one area.

It's kinda a no-brainer type feature as you don't have to think about doing it with your finger while trying to fight a fish.

HTH, Elliot

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    On your Abu, its that wire looking thingy that moves back and forth when you wind in your line. Two other pieces of terminology you may want to know. The level wind feature moves on what's called a worm gear and is moved by the pawl. Its good to put a drop or two of oil on the worm gear every once in a while. I do it after every trip, but that's because I'm always getting my reels wet and sometimes, get sand on them. The worm gear can be see on the underside of where the levelwind is attached.

7. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ok, what is the worm gear??

does it have anything to do with baiting worms??

I looked up the word Pawl in the dictionary:metal piece which catches in the teeth of a ratchet wheel.

so the Pawl on a reel? catches to some ratchet wheel?
    " anatomy of a reel"

I do understand "bearings" becuz, I inline skate and good bearings on the wheels makes for a smooth ride!!!

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A worm gear is a longish round shaft with spirals cut in it. On your real, the pawl moves up and down the spiral shaft, making your levelwind move back and forth. Turn your Abu upside down. Look at where the level wind attaches to the cross member that it slides along. You'll see a cut out on the crossmember. Inside that cut out is the worm gear and the pawl. Turn your reel handle and you will see the pawl and level wind move the length of the worm gear. Easy to get to for oiling, don't have to take the reel apart and takes two seconds.