Level Wind System

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Terry Day, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK. I'm going to show my ignorance here. I have used spinning reels forever. Just now researching bait casters. What the heck is a level wind system? And what is it good for?

I've decided on the 6500 - just not the specific model yet!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    It's a system that is geared to run back and forth laying your line down in an even manner on your spool. Otherwise you would have to guide it back and forth on the spool by hand to keep it level.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The level wind is what lays the line on your reel when you are reeling..

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    If you're going to be doing any fishing where long casts are important, go with a 6500 with no levelwind. The reel's frame is called a CT frame. Those with levelwinds are called CS frames. It takes no time at all to learn to guide the line on the reel spool with your thumb and the improvement in casting distance is significant. They have been a mainstay in surf fishing circles for a long long time.

There are currently two CT framed reels available to the U.S. at the moment - the 6500 C3CT Mag Elite and the 6500 CT Blue Yonder. Both are awesome reels. The C3CT uses magnets for spool braking and the Blue Yonder uses the traditional centrifugal braking. They are a little more pricey though. They retail for between $130 and $150.

/Scott

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all who responded to my question. Now that I have seen the explanations I feel really stupid. Should have been obvious what it ment. Guess that I was thinking that it was an anti backlash system or something.

Going from a spin cast system to a bait caster really intimidates me. The thought of backlash on every cast is a worry. Need to get one and practice/practice/practice!!!

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey just like the saying goes,the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    I ask qustions on here all the time and then when i find out the answer im like duh i should have known that.Thats whats great about the BOC everyone will answer your question and teach you what you need to know without judgement or trying to make you look stupid,everyone is totaly respectful(Well most of the time lol).

7. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks brinley45cal,

It may not make me feel any smarter, but it's nice to know that the "DUH Boys" won't be the talk of the town until the next stupid question is asked!

Maybe I should change my name from Terry Day to "DUH Boy"! What do you think? It has a ring to it!!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Terry,Spinning reels have their own type of level wind systems,as do a lot of heavy construction equipment,ships,cranes,elivators,lifts, ect.that uses string to heavy cable.Sewing thread,string,cord,cable,and chain are put on their spools with a levelwind device.peewee-williams

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well your in good company my friend.Keep posting any questions you have thats what we are all here for.I dont have any trouble asking questions on anything so post away.

10. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Terry, you said in your post you're looking at Abu 6500, I've heard the braking systems on them are really good so that should help with your backlash concerns. You're in the right place for help, BOC members are the best. Good Luck :thumbsup:

11. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Chanellocked,

I appreciate the information. I'm not sold on the 6500 TCCF. I think that I will probably buy the C3 or C4 and then buy a power handle for it. It's January 1, 2006, and its 72 degrees outside my window. I'm getting an itch!