Level 4 Bio "safety" lab opening near you?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Homeland security has proposed, and Congress has approved the construction of up to 5 new Level 4 Biosafety labs in the US. I'm only on luch break, and can't elaborate much at the moment, but these facilities propegate, and study potentailly deadly viruses such as anthrax, and ebola virus, among others. What bothers me most is that one of these facilities is to be built on the University of Missouri campus about 20 miles from where I live. Why should these labs be built in populated areas instead of on an island, or in the desert? These will be the first such labs to be built in the past 20 years. All of these viruses have already been investigated extensively over the past decades. Some are suggesting that these labs will be used for the production of biological grade, and quantities of these agents. Would any of you be alarmed if one of these labs were being built in your neighborhood? I would also like to add that this was approved without a vote, or consent from the public, or university faculty, and MU is to donate 100 acres, $10 million worth of land.

If this should be moved to HI, so be it, but I wanted the general population to be able to view this as well so people are aware of this happening.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We have folks that have feared the SHearon Harris nuclear power plant since its conception and people still fight it out of fear.
    Miraculously most of these same fearful people work in Raleigh.
    In raleigh is a nuclear reactor most folks dont even know about. I didnt until I actually went in the reactor , walked over the cooling water and looked down in the water to see the fuel rods. My hands and feet were also geigered before I left.
    It's on the NC State University campus and a stones throw from Hillsborough St. Never seen no complaints about this.

I believe what people dont always know dont hurt them.
    I also believe what would probally happen is the government declares this facility is a level 4 facility but in actuality its nothing.
    The real deal is in some nondescript building in a strategically challenged place as far as over taking it and its not advertised.

Locally we have an airplane hangar on the county airport with Spark Chasers painted on it. You know, smoke jumpers and such.
    One problem. NC isnt known for forest fires or for any fires for that matter.

Its actually a CIA facility. I'm not divulging anything here. Its common knowledge now and a little band of save the world save the terrorist protestors get arrested regularly.
    Its a stopping point or was a stopping point for captured terrorists from Iraq and the Stan on the way to Cuba.

10-12 years ago I thought it real odd when my daughter in law applied for a secretarial job at the county airport and in the process had to travel to Washington to have the FBI administer an 8 hour long lie detector test.
    Now I know why.:big_smile:

I tell you what. I know alot of people that would be willing to lease their land to the government for such a facility. I would in a heartbeat.
    They can play with whatever they want to play with while I fish in Costa Rica.

No telling whats under your nose that you havent seen yet.

3. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for trying to make me feel better Mark. :lol: I know what you are saying about being fearful of "nothing". One statement that was made was "There will be no threat to public health." A) When cultivating viruses, importing infections, and incenerating carcasses and waste of infected livestock daily, how can there be zero threat? B) The county medical examiner is very concearned about public safety, and believes the university has traded good common sense for $$$. C) There are plenty of isolated places to build this facility. There is no reason for it to be built in a populated area. D) The current growth rate of the community could cease from the fear, even if it IS irrational.

The university also has a small nuclear reactor. A few years ago, they had a leak of some sort, and it almost became a major tragedy. Luckily, only a few people were injured that we know of. Accidents do happen. They will be handling hoof and mouth disease. If that gets out, livestock statewide may have to be destroyed. Missouri is second behind Texas in beef production. Idunno, I just think it's a real bad idea putting this facility where they are, when there are more options out there. I plan to sign the petition to stop it as soon as I can find it.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's handy... the superbugs get loose, and all they have to do is melt down the research reactor to get it under control, lol.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm going to be real honest here speaking about medical examiners and the dead and hospitals.

Places like funeral homes and hospitals are breeding grounds for some of the worst stuff to leap on society. You have strains of staph that there isnt antibiotics for. Good place to get this believe it or not is the community swimming pool and visiting someone in the hospital.
    Stop and think how many people go in and out the front door of a hospital everyday. Think how many tons of nonhuman items leave a hospital. Not just "medical" waste.

You pretty much already have in your community what you are willing to sign a petition against. Has your hospital issued a guarantee of public safety?

I questioned my surgeon on the 23 hour hospital stay for back surgery.
    23 hours is not considered an admittance and thats what the insurance companies are after. Then he tells me, even if the insurance companies were willing to pay for a 5 day stay I'd boot you out of here in a day.

Fresh wound, sick folks, staph, and all in the same building all the time is bad medicine.
    Another surgeon in the same hospital told my mother the same thing a couple of years prior.
    the infectious diseases are there and accesible by the public 24 hours a day 7 days a week and they even want you to pay to park to catch them.

Just food for thought. I wont spill into the funeral home its not needed.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    years ago...actually 35 or 36...i worked for a laundry that washed a couple of hospitals linen among many other businesses...when we shook out some of that linen, the things we found would make you...well, it was ugly sometimes.
    got lots of surgical tools, and lots of internal things that should have been disposed of in a biohazard manner....wierd job for a young guy:crazy:

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I do agree with you on this. VRE, a flesh eating form of staph/strep almost killed my best friend's mom. The culprit, besides poor sanitational practices, was carpeted recovery rooms. Nothing in a hospital should be carpeted. Bad stuff grows in hospitals indeed. I need a couple of surgeries, but I am AFRAID to put my life in the hands of the OR. Go in for MCL surgery, and coming out with some funky virus scares me. I am not an alarmist. Possibly a tad paranoid though. Part of my problem with this lab is how they tried, and are still trying to hide it from the public. Another issue I have with it, is the potential for it being another target for terrorists. Columbia has a large Islamic community. Most are benign. Some have links to Alqaeda. Professors have been murdered. Most are affraid to speak their concearns on the subject for fear of termination, or worse. At least hospitals opperate on the notion that they are at least attempting to help people, and save their lives. Biosafety labs do no such thing. They are dabbling in things that have no specific purpose other than to find a way to kill more people. The viruses they will be dealing with are not currently found in this area, and there is no reason to bring it here. I would not purchase property anywhere near one of these facilities. I would not send my child to school there either. I am possitive that I am not the only person who feels this way too. It only serves to bring revenue to an already thriving university. One of three colleges in this town. I honestly believe that it will only hurt the economy of the surrounding community, and bring an unnecessary hazard to the public.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Most of us have no clue what we live next to now. These labs will more then likely be the same way. Slight of hand.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Both Mark and Matt are correct in their posts. It is said that the we have a Government that is for the people.Do I believe that? Not hardly!! What I do Believe is that money talks and poo poo walks.It is my opinion and I could be wrong but 10thousand petions could be signed,but if the Government wants to do something they will do it regardless of how we feel.Right now the war is raging and in many ways it is most sad.So much Bloodshed and violence.If you want to speak of paranoia would you not say it's our Government who is?Otherwise why on earth would they feel it nessasary to build this facility.JMHO:smile2: