Letting them run 2 long?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bassmaster9863, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Bassmaster9863

Bassmaster9863 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    im getting sum decent runs on live bluegill on bottom but right when i turn my clicker off and get rdy to merc on em they just stop altogethor..... Am i waiting to long? how long do u guys wait be4 u set the hook?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use Kahle hooks, with live bluegill, and when I have a Cat taking line, i will pick up the rod, sometimes leave it in the holder,,, and use my thumb to slow down the spool, when, I feel the fish yanking, tugging, or fighting with it some, I set the hook. Then turn off the clicker if I haven't, and begin working him in!!
    If he's resisting being stopped or being turned, I'll set the hook, and then work him in.
    I don't let them go too long,,,They will get in cover, and mess you up..
    Hope that helps..

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is why I like the kahle hook for Flatheads. I can pull the trigger hard and turn him before he gets burried in trash. With kahle you don't have to wait.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just because you are getting runs, dont assume it's flatheads.

Gar will run with a bait and drop it at the first resistance felt.

Turtles will sometimes do the same things.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sometimes when they stop, the flathead might be just setting there holding the bait, try tugging slightly to get him to pull back or run,,Then pop him if he's on.:big_smile:

I like dragging the bluegill on the bottom on a slip float rig..I simply raise the slip knot until the float rides a little high.(meaning the sinker is on bottom along with 14-18" of leader with a #10 octopus gamakatsu and a 3-5" bluegill.)

Dragging the bluegill a few inchs and let it set for 5 minutes or so and repeat until you are ready to cast again.

This is a proven and deadly technique I use often in lake coves where you can throw from one side to the other and work your bait down and up each side. The flats will drag the float down sometimes and release them, just let it set, if he don't come and get it in a min, bounce the float a couple inchs. That should get him honed in on the bait he just dropped because he is hunting for it. It should'nt take but just one or two of these bounces to entice the strike/kill mode in the fish, and then you'll have him.:wink:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t usually set until I pick up the rod and feel what he,s doing.That,s what I love about braid,I can feel everything on the other end.Like Greg mentioned,as soon as I feel him tugging,then I,ll put the steel to him. Lot of the runs your missing might be smaller channels that can,t fit it in their mouth or gar like Jack mentioned.:wink:

7. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One word...Gar
    But I dont use a clicker, I tight line with circles.

8. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    never had a turtle do that but yeah a big catfish will have it fully in its mouth when you set it