Letting my daughter down...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by STUMPKNOCKER, Jun 9, 2007.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Today the Georgia d.n.r. put on a fishing event for kids at a small pond that has been stocked with channels and bass they give prizes to the first fish and the biggest fish, i loaded my two girls and my nephew up early this morning and we went, wasnt long before we realized we were on the wrong side of the pond outta the shade, all the kids caught a fish early then the sun got up it got hot and the fishing got slow, my oldest and my nephew give up but my littlest one stuck it out in the heat,about 10 minutes before the horn blew and the fishing quit she hung one, and fought him for what seemed like forever she got him up to the bank he was a big one around 8 to 10 pounds this is where daddy takes over grabs the line grabs the catfish, right then he flounces breaks the line, i went in after him, no luck, the big fish gets away, i turn to look at my girl and her face said it all, she was so dissapointed, i was too at that moment i would have traded my record for her to have caught that fish, then the winning fish was 7 pounds, all she kept asking was daddy wheres my fish,she diddnt understand, but later after lunch she wins a door prize, and i let her call and tell her grandpa her fish story, all and all i think she is hooked this afternoon she suggested we go to the pond and fish so we went.....the dnr did a great job and all the sponsors they gave away tons of stuff, and opened up the world of fishing to a bunch of kids, but i cant quit feeling like i let my girl down.....next year she fishing with my 6000....lol

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Carl, Dads will be Dads and we are only human. But I can feel your pain ,sometimes life just sucks but i think it sounds like yall still had a great time in spite of you trying to help her out. Keep up the good work you cant be superman all the time.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Allrite! A fish story at her age. That makes her an official fisherman. LOL! Great story.

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    These things happen. I fished in a trout contest for kids today with my daughter.They gave away prizes for the four biggest fish well we didnt get the biggest but I bet we caught the most. My daughter caught about 20 little ones and had grown men upset that they couldnt catch them like her.We had more fun than any prize could of got us.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Goerge, I know you have been told this a thousand times, but your avatar is sooo hot.:0a14:

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
  7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You did all you could do. I would of hated to see her face thats for sure. BUT she did get a door prize and you both have a moment to share the rest of your life. Priceless!
    Bill

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad ya took the kids out. You are only human. Thanks for sharing the story.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I forgot to sat this earlier, but now would be a great time to teach her that a dip net is a very important piece of eqipment.:big_smile:

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Dude my fellow Georgian Carl it was a moment that played out just like yours that Im still a die hard fisherman today. It was gods way. It makes me think back to one of my grandfathers famous quotes"thats why they call it fishing instead of catching" and its moments like that which make us hardcore fisherman and fisherwomen

11. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Naw, Carl... you didn't let her down. You were there... and that counts more than anything, brother :smile2: No matter what the results, the most important thing a parent can do, I think, is just to show up.

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Exactly what I was thinking Jerseycat9. A guy once told me to not take my kids everytime I went and they would want to go even more when they had the chance. Now both my girls are older (19,22) and love to go fishing. So maybe the old guy was right, I think that your misshap works the same way. She will want to go even more.