Letting line out

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, Sep 11, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    I think i'm fishing deeper than the 12 foot I need to in my local lake. What is the easiest way to know how much line you have let out?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used a couple of ways the easiest for me was to tape off my pole at 1,2,3 and four foot sections and use that to "measure" the line as I let it out. You can also use marked line, I think it was 2 are 3 foot increments.

3. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    where can you buy the line that is already marked? I cant find it, maybe i'm not looking in the right places.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    never heard of marked line , but you can merk it yourself with a permenent marker lay the line out on the ground measure and mark it in 4 foot increments , good luck

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If jig fishing I use a pretty easy technique. I use a bobber stop for slip bobbers. Just put that on your line and when u get a bite move that to the level you were fishing. It's then easy to put your bait right back where the fish were.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great idea got to try it:cool2:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Measure from your reel to the first guide on your rod. On my rods this is approx. 2 ft. you may have to put a mark on your rod at 2 ft. then hand feed your line 2 feet at a time to the desired depth. This is how I set mine up at different depths when drift fishing.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sometimes I just pull my line in kind of like fly fishing without reeling on to the reel. Lets you go reight back to the same depth as you caught the fish.

9. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Most spinning reels have a small tab just below the spool. Run your line under the tab and you will have the same amount of line out every time. I use this alot when I'm casting over a brush pile with a bobber. I also use it when vertical jigging from a boat or dock.

Dave

10. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Bobber stop or permenant marker are both great ideas. I use collapsable 10' crappie rods and often use the rod to measure. Using the marker gave me an idea I'm gonna try -- use high visibility yellow line with about 2' of low vis leader and mark the high vis about every 2' or so. I'll try anything for a baggie of nice crappie fillets!!!

Best to Ya

Larry