Letting it rain for Otay Wednesday.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I made my round down to Otay today in anticipation of the rainy day bite that I look forward to every year. Things started off rough for me though as I had car problems on my way and had to get help in Escondido. After leaving early this morning and then waiting for a shop to open I did not get on the water until 1130am. That was fine though because Whenever I arrive at SD Lakes at 11-12 I seem to do better than if I arrived in the morning anyways.:big_smile: I meet up with Catmando on his hole and picked up a Catmando bag we set up and then off to my spot I went. Since I was late my plan had to change and I decided to give each spot 25 minutes and if no bite than move on. First stop was blank, so I went Harvey arm for nothing after 2 stops. Rain was pouring so I said I will take at least 30 minute to look around and find a school. I put the finder on to check out spots here and there. Saw a mess of fish in 35 feet of water that were all suspended and what looked like smaller baitfish as well. I said to myself some of this has to be catfish that deep so I set up and fished the spot and what do you know, wide open catfishing. I picked up my limit there and toped out with a 13-14 pound blue, 10 pound channel, and 3 more channels in the 5-6 pound range. All on Catmando. Had a good opportunity on a trophy blue but he spit the hook so the big blues were in the spot as well. If I would have had a partner today we could have caught close to a hundred pound stringer the fish were so wide. All in the pouring rain. Had a good time out there today and may go back real soon and get the one that spit the hook.

Attached Files:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey, Sounds like a very successful day out!!! Enjoyed the story and the Pics...

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Yes - And That, Boys & Girls, why they call the man
    "The Bluehunter". :0a23:
    (LoL)
    :wink:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice report blue. congrats on the catches

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Most definitely thanks everyone. Its been a while since I been on the water, but with the break coming up I will get out about 2 more times. Lets hope for something good.

6. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Nice pics blue. Where is this Otay? How many places down south have blues?

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Lower Otay is located in San Diego. It is one of the big 3 down in So Cal that have big blues. The other two being San Vicente - closed to a dam building project for at least the next 6 years, and Irvine Lake. Other lakes that have big blues are either closed to the public, or requires a membership - that being Lake Matthews and Vail Lake.

Blues on a smaller scale are also at Lake Murray, El Capitan, Lake Sutherland, and a few other small lakes. The Lake record at El capt is in the mid 40's as opposed to the big 3 that put out blues in the 113 pound range, 90 pound range, and high 80's.

I have an excellent read I posted on my board that I will share here. Its the history of blues in California. You might be surprised to find out that there was a brief introduction of blues in the northern California area, but it never materialized to what we have here in southern California. Plus the DFG makes an effort every now and then to stock lakes with a few thousand pounds every so often to try to help sustain a bunch. El Capitan and Sutherland is one of the few places you can catch small blues as they seem to spawn in those waters. The waters were they reach massive size they do not spawn in. It is quite unusual but we have to remember that blues are naturally a river fish and require moving water and current to help in reproduction. Something that the big reservoirs here lack which is why they do not reproduce at Otay, San Vicente, and Irvine lake.

Here is a history lesson on California Blues at this link.

http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?d...98&toc.depth=1&toc.id=d0e445&brand=calisphere

If you look to the side of the page you will also see history of channels going back to the mid 1800's, and also the introduction of flatheads. Something that all die hard Catfishing Californians should know. The teacher is now coming out of me. LOL. I am suppose to be on break now.:big_smile:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Reps for the post Blue......

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
  10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice articicle Brian. Congratulations on the honor:big_smile:

11. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    hey guys, being still new to the BOC and only having 7 trips to the threads (need 10) in able to direct mssg, was hoping to get in contact with Daystarchris re:info on his favorite slough. I can be reached at wishrmn@comcast.net or 707-299-0016 lve mssg. Thanks and happy new year to all. sorry to change the subject but did not know what else to do. Wishrman

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Steve, just e mailed you around 5:00 pm.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thank you. I am trying. LOL. There are quite a few things I got going and planned in the future. Hopefully the articles will keep going with good catches . I have a few more in WON and Fish Rap newspaper but those were late catches with the most recent last October. BTW thanks for the tip. Will definitely work that in the future.

Brian.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
  16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Happy New Year Randy and everybody else - Happy New Year!

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Went back out New years eve. Nothing really significant thats why I did not start a new thread. Just went for a half day and to really try to find out the boat problem. Here is the report.

Happy New Years everyone.I decided to get out and fish Otay for a half day during New Years eve and to beat the fwy rush and get ready to bring in the New Year. I also wanted to try and diagnois my boat problem a little better trying to see whats going on. I was able to get out, but my finder, gas gauge, trim meter, and other electrical components is not working. That was ok I already know about 4 spots where I do not need to use a finder at anyway. Just need to anchor up and fish. But it looks like I have to put the boat away and work on it if I want to be able to be ready for Clear lake, Spring flat runs, and the upcoming March derby at Otay. I will be on shore trout duty for Jan for the most part.

My son and I arrive around 7am. We went a few places before we were able to find them in deep water. These cats are not shallow at all I can tell you that. The deeper spot run was found about 2 hrs into the trip but they were indeed there. They were biting. All channels. There were a few that I believe were in the high dd range that took me into a few snags a few times. I even almost lost my mighty might anchor and had to work 5 minutes to try to get it loose. But they were there. Surprisingly most of the bites happened when the bait was on the way to the bottom. Which tells me one thing, the cats were suspended. However I did not rig up my slip bobber, I just kept trying to get them off of the bottom in which I had some strikes as well. We were on the spot for about 2 1/2 hrs and only caught 2 cats. Well my son did. We missed though about 10 hits. These fish were very finicky and were not taking the bait hard until they knew they were hooked. I resulted to tighlining and circle hooks to let them load up and just watch the rod and waited for it to load up before I even picked the rod up; ignoring all the hits and other bites previous to the load up. No love on the gills today, lots of small hits and one dinky gill. I guess they were finicky hitters as well. The cooler water temps does affect how some of these fish bites. We headed on out to get to back home. All and all, its always a good time out on the water with your son. Here is the pic. Biggest channel at 7 pounds. Happy New Year everybody.

B

Attached Files:

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the report blue. Oh.... you got them videos down brother. Just watched your latest one. Good job on them. :wink:

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Robb. Its going to get better though. I will be doing online seminars on how to target cats at certain lakes. Plus live feeds on some of my catches. I am working on obtaining a video camera as we speak. All I need is company out on the water to help record and its on. People are definitely going to like it I am a character.:smile2: Again thanks a lot!

B

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Speaking of seminars. Here is the first of of my online seminars geared towards how to use cut mackerel for giants cats. Also I included a short seminar on cured liver. This is only the first of many onllne seminars I will be doing, plus live feeds of catches and other how too's. I put this together earlier in the week, but is just now placing it on for the BOC family. Minor errors, but will master it really soon. Many more lessons to come. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sedpdl9OUY