Letter to MODOC Please Read

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cuz, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Here is a letter I'm sending to the Missouri Department of Conservation. If you believe in its content PLEASE make a post with your First and Last name so I may include your name on the list to Jefferson City. You DO NOT have to be from Missouri. Thanks for your support guys. Together we can make a difference.

December 16, 2008

David W. Erickson
    Assistant Director
    Chairman Regulations Committee
    Missouri Department Of Conservation

Kevin Sullivan
    Resource Scientist
    Missouri Department Of Conservation

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for the opportunity to write to the Missouri Department Of Conservation in regards to regulation and protection of our great states Catfisheries. Specifically, our Blue, Flathead and Channel Cat Species.

The names attached to this letter represent a group of proud sportsman that sincerely believe positive change is necessary to protect these great fishes. These names are from proud, hard working Americans that dedicate their time, hard earned money, and efforts to the great sport of Catfishing. We are willing to make sacrifices in length and creel limits to the level necessary to sustain these great fishes so that our children and their children may enjoy this fishery as much as we do. In the short term, we strongly encourage the Missouri Department Of Conservation and Department for Regulatory Change to institute a 1 fish daily possession limit for all catfish over 34 inches in length. This is to include Commercial Fishing. I refer you to the very successful implementation of this program in the state of Tennessee.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Commercial/TN_com_reg_08.pdf

We are gravely concerned with the current level of fish being taken from our river systems for commercial purposes such as resale, or to be taken alive and sold to pay lakes in Illinois, Ohio, and other states including our very own state of Missouri.
    1. We feel the current regulations regarding commercial fishing are much too lenient and provide a huge stress on the previously mentioned catfish populations. Our current 12 dollar fees for an annual Missouri State Fishing License allow us a daily creel limit of up to 5 fish, yet a commercial fisherman can spend 25 dollars and may take any number of fish. Unfortunately, these commercial fisherman are running huge gill, trammel, and seine nets during the winter season when the fish school together in massive wintering holes, which allows them to harvest 10’s of thousands of pounds often in a couple days of fishing. Here on the Mississippi River, we recently observed a boat full of Blue Cats that exceeded several thousand pounds. It was more fish harvested in a day, then I have caught by rod and reel in the last 3 years. And this gentleman can keep several thousand pounds of Blue Cats merely because he spent 13 more dollars? The Blue Cat populations are being decimated every winter with these long and unforgiving nets, and our Flatheads are are being pummeled with hoop nets during the prespawn season.
    2. This past season alone, I had to remove two nets from my boat prop. This is a problem that is becoming rather common unfortunately as the numbers of these nets increase, and are left unattended.
    3. Some of these fisherman are working illegal nets, and illegal net placements as there is no enforcement on the Mississippi River to speak of. Our tributary entrances our often encased with these nets, even thought the regulations specifically indicate no such net placements are allowed within 300 yards of a tributary entrance. Our conservation agent doesn’t even have a boat. We are forming a watch dog group to start regular patrols on our sections of river, and will be calling Game Thief Repeatedly, however we realize the department is understaffed, under funded, and under resourced.
    4. As you are well aware, the invasive species of Asian Carps that have saturated our rivers is on the increase as well. Our Catfish are using the Asian Carp as a food source, especially in the summer time and a reduction in the numbers of Catfish, equals an increase in the numbers of Asian Carp. We are diminishing the numbers of slow reproducing catfish, and increasing the numbers of the prolific spawning carps, which is obviously not a good combination.

The current rate of the taking of our large fish is already having very detrimental effects on the Mississippi River. These fisherman are targeting our larger fish, which our very own fisheries biologist indicates is our breeder fish and are critically important to the ecosystem.

We salute the Missouri Department Of Conservation for its past legislation banning commercial fishing on the Missouri River. Recent reports indicate that this has already had a very positive effect on the Catfisheries in this river system.

The Mississippi River is currently being targeted by very large numbers of commercial fisherman. We realize that the Mississippi River is bordered by other states, and change can be difficult to implement. However, we feel two wrongs don’t make it right, and positive change on OUR side of the river will eventually bring positive change on the other.

We will continue to do our part as fisherman by practicing Catch and Release and Selective Harvest. We implore the Department of Conservation to join us and steadfastly pass legislation that restricts the large amounts of fish being taken from our river system for the benefit of a few mens wallets. After all, our rivers are a public resource. You can count on us to be a part of any future meetings or work groups where the public is invited to attend. We are committed to our goal to protect these fishes and we will do whatever it takes to assist the Department of Conservation with change to its Regulations.

Sincerely,

John M Allen
    Gateway Cats President/Board Of Directors
    Contributor, Brotherhood Of Catfishing
    Lifetime Member North American Fishing Club
    Member ACATS
    Member USCATS

314.853.4000 Cell
    gatewaycats@yahoo.com

Fellow Brothers, If you believe in what I have mentioned in this letter, please make a post with your First and Last Name so that I may include your name on the list that goes to Jefferson City. You don’t have to be from Missouri. The time for change is now. Together, we have what it takes to protect these great fishes. We cant allow the current commercial harvest rates to continue. Thank You for your support. Cuz

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well said, Cuz. I sure wouldn't mind seeing this implemented in Oklahoma as well. There are far too many folks who don't respect the waters that we have, and they'll keep every big fish that they catch, while throwing back the smaller ones. Selective harvest in reverse, if you know what I mean.

Jerrod Lingle
    Altus, OK

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    count me in scott brown my dad said count him in as well don brown

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan Mellon
    Dayton, OH

I am PM'ing you other names of folks in my household.

5. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Count me in and keep us updated with the reply.

Tom Turner
    Hampstead, NC.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm in. Nice job on the letter. Branden Stombaugh.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Names That Support Change to Protect our Great Catfishes.

John Allen
    Bryan Mellon
    Jennifer Mellon
    Gloria Mellon
    Phil Mellon
    Phillip Croy Mellon
    Andrew Mellon
    Vivianne Mellon
    Jerrod Lingle
    Scott Brown
    Don Brown
    Tom Turner
    Branden Stambaugh
    Eric Stambaugh

KEEP EM COMING BOYS
    Thanks a Million

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    please add my name to your letter .
    i agree with the concerns stated in this letter and
    hope to help make a differance.
    i think it is plain wrong to use a net to collect catfish like this
    if they want a lot of catfish meat to sell
    they can grow them , then use all the nets they want
    to get em out , this is rapeing resources indiscrimenantly with no care or concern for the future of fishing or the devestation that it will cause .
    anything that is going to be a plus for the asian carp is a huge negative for any other species.
    darryl carter
    sons and fellow fishermen jarrod carter and matthew carter

9. jedamy

jedamy New Member

State:
    mo
    jed shields fayette mo

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good work John. Count me in.
    Troy Greenwood

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im all for restricking the size of fish you can kill.
    johnnie mckee
    mena arkansas

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Brad Kilpatrick president Kansas City Catfish
    Kansas City Ks.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks Guys. Spread the Word to your other states if you dont mind.

John Allen
    Lisa Allen
    Lauren Allen
    Jackson Allen
    Robert Hipes
    Bobby Hipes
    Anthony Hipes
    Chris Hipes
    Bryan Mellon
    Jennifer Mellon
    Gloria Mellon
    Phil Mellon
    Phillip Croy Mellon
    Andrew Mellon
    Vivianne Mellon
    Jerrod Lingle
    Scott Brown
    Don Brown
    Tom Turner
    Branden Stambaugh
    Darryl Carter
    Jed Shields
    Troy Greenwood
    Johnnie McKee
    Brad Kilpatrick

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Buck McClendon
    Murfreesboro, TN

15. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    CUZ , Thanks from all of us for your time and efforts in this matter. I think that if the MODOC cant stop or put some restrictions on the commerical fishermen , I think a permit should cost $3,000.00 for a commerical one. That should weed out a few of them. Paul Lawrence & Jeanette Lawrence Crawford county Missouri. Please put our names on your list. Paul

16. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Count us in John. Great job on the letter.
    Russell Stamper
    Claudia Stamper
    Spickard Mo.

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Count me in and also include these names.. Harold H Hicks. Ann Hicks, Bobby J Hicks, Patrick R. Hicks, and Charles Albert..

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    As the president of the Carolina Catfish Club, I understand your struggle to get legislative change.

One suggestion is to sit down and talk with the biologists about the process for changing the regulations. Find out from them how to go about getting the laws change. Every state is different, but the biologists from the NCWRC were very helpful in walking us through the steps for initializing the process.

The key is to make sure that your goals and intentions are on the same side as the biologists in your state. Without their support, no matter how many folks are with you, change will never happen.

Add my name, Dieter Melhorn, and I will forward this link to our membership. In return I ask that you view our thread here on the BOC on similar legislation and log onto the NCWRC website and vote in favor of the 32” regulation in North Carolina.

Here is the link: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66058

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

John Allen
    Lisa Allen
    Lauren Allen
    Jackson Allen
    Robert Hipes
    Bobby Hipes
    Anthony Hipes
    Chris Hipes
    Bryan Mellon
    Jennifer Mellon
    Gloria Mellon
    Phil Mellon