Letter to Editor-Need some "Country" logic:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jul 9, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Let me pass this by you folk and see what ya think.

I have been asked to Ghost Write a "Letter to the Editor" for 3 newspapers here in my part of the world. The man who asked me to do this will use his signature on submittal and I will not be visible anywhere, other than my mouth.

One year ago in this county a man bulldozed off a turn of the century graveyard. He wanted a little more corn acreage, so he took it upon himself to take a D6H and smoothed it off, pushing the headstones into a ditch. Of course, immediately locally, there was some outrage. It was referred to the county and the problem has since disappeared.

This cemetery was called the Crabb Cemetery for the town at that time called Crabtown. This town came about because it was in the middle of a large tract of white oak and what white oak could be used for. It employed about 100 "coopers" and carpenters and their needs. Forges, and shops, their own Post Office. They made all things "coopers" did. Barrels, staves, wheel hubs and wheel spokes, etc. Of course like buggy whips these things went by the wayside and the town folded up and disappeared except for the cemetery. Though neglected, it existed and continued to exist until the dozing incident. God knows who was there and where they came from but they are history and part of this nation. For a fact there were civil war veterans there.

Here is the problemo. This rural country is run, as many rural counties are by are a select group of "Good Ol Boys". You know these kinds of guys. These ain't your hamhanded stupid County Sheriff types who has everybody buffaloed. These are the guys who run the Sheriff. You see the guy who dozed off the cemetery was one of these. Which is one of the reasons it has been buried (no pun intended).

Now the guy who wants to stir this pot either has a lot of hair on his chest or not enough brains to pour urine out of a boot with the directions on the heel. But my personality likes this kind of stuff. However, I don't want to become dead meat for the turtles. So I am asking you as commonsense people how do we handle this. I got the letter written in my head and it is a doozey. Can we beat these guys? Would the letter be the route to go. we can't go to anybody locally for the reason I have outlined. Has anybody out there beat the system and how would you do it?

John.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    you sure can get yourself into a pickle cant ya john?

write the letter and sign it J.D. Harrison. i'd be pretty surprised if the long arm of the i-o-way good ol boys is anything like the strong arm of the alabama good ol boys. and even if it is, i dont mind. they might even document me on youtube.

there isnt even a shadow of doubt in my mind that desicrating a cemetary is wrong on all counts, socially/judicially/morally/ethically/ and prolly legally too. if you were writing said letter to a local paper, i would go on and have nancy copy it down on some formal paperwork mumbo jumbo and send it to your state representative. you happen to live in a fairly political state anyways. imagine the head lines if word got out that obama/mccain backers were giving the ok to bulldoze cemetaries so that a good ol boy country hick (no offense) could make a few extra bucks.

you also might wanna send a copy to some crazy national historical society, or the national inquirer/geographic.

just dont forget to sign it with my john hancock instead of yours. if it needs a return addy, try something or other pennsylvania avenue blah-blah-blah- d.c.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Buddy luv ya but you are in doo-doo playin with fire fer sure so yer either gonna pee the bed or get burned-I am always tryin to beat the system and this one is gonna take more then me to figure out......NO GUTS - NO GLOREY Beetleman roll out and do what you gotta do just hope the other one dont sell you out when it starts gettin warm:eek:oooh:Watch yer back ole man and you call I will bring my two girls to save ya:wink:
    Alot of restless souls will be on that mans concious-his d-9 too!.....that just aint right!

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This guy is a sick'o he needs that D6 run up his a$$ for doing that most ungraceful deed. I now God will take care of him even if the law does not. I'm with J.D. and Kenny go for the gust'o and have a BUD on me. Wonder what he would say if someone did that to his loveones proberley nothing if there was money in it for him. :angry::angry:

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    John, write the letter.

Will you get into deep crap way over your boots? Yes.

Will it be worth it? I don't know, but that's your call to make anyway.

The best idea would be to write the letter, then inform all of your elected political officials (it is a presidential election year, obviously so they may be wanting to get their name out there & be recognized a bit) and then inform some bigger media. Media geeks just love these types of stories. I'd call some reporters at the biggest news stations in your state or area & get them on the case. They'd be all over this like flies on crap.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    as said above, write it just dont sign it.You will have all kinds of rift raft on your place scaring all the animals away lol But i'm more than sure it would make local & probably national news, then they will balme it on e85 ethanol fuel for this guy wanting to make more corn so he can sell it to the govt. for fuel!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dear John........

:cool2:I would write the mans letter,and let the cards fall where they may. Calling a spade a spade ,so to speak. I'm sure you ain't gonna get in dutch,I ain't so sure about the fella that put you up to it tho. I like the idea of getting him to contact a historical soc. Might be a good idea to let a state represenative or three know as well.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dangit! Lost my first post! :angry:

What happened is just distasteful and rude. Blatant disregard for the sanctity of these people's resting place.

A church in a town where I used to attend tech school needed a new parking lot, and the only area they had to put one was over the old cemetery behind the church. They didn't dig up the remains and re-bury them. They just removed the old headstones, and piled them in a remote corner of the new cemetery, and put a small fence around them. I thought THAT was a disgrace. It happens though.

You asked for common sense. You have a way with words. I have no doubt that your letter to the editor will give the community a renewed sense of outrage, and make the perpetrator feel about >this< tall, but I ask you to evaluate your own motives. Throwing rocks at the hen house just for the sake of it does not constitute common sense. What are your expectations? Can't restore the cemetery, and he most likely didn't commit an actual crime.

Just my opinion, and if you do write the letter, I would like to read it, and I'm sure several others would too.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Alright PB, here is my take on this deal. Even the Federal Gov. can not remove a grave site without notifying the next of kin or if this is not possible, I believe it has to be advertised in two or more local newspapers. Even if notifaction is not possible, they have to remove the remains, along with the markers and inform the public of this action and the intented burial site. Why would the state gov. or county gov. be any different than the fed's. It should be noted that no government can displace a parcel of real estate unless it is for public use and I don't believe private use qualifies. Ofcourse, you should verify what I have stated as being the gospel in your state before you run with it.

To me, people who ignore the past (our ancestors) will find a way to destroy our future.

I recently sold some land that I inherited from my father and my great uncle John was buried on this land along with some Indians and slaves of long ago. These grave sites are located on a 100 x 100' piece of land, almost smack dab in the middle of a 20 acre field and I had it put in the deed of transfer, that the owner and/or his assigns could not disturb that spot. Also, those wanting to visit those grave sites could cross over the land by foot to visit. It is recorded and legal and binding forever and ever.

Some might say that the burial sites were abandon and this was tried in Charlotte, NC within the past year of two. But, the city had to do exactly as I stated above. When I worked for the NCDOT back in the sixties, they would realign a highway to avoid the hoops that they would have to go thru if a burial site or sites were involved. When it could not be avoided, the notification process would add a year to the task, but it had to be done, no if's an's or but's.

If you indeed do write this article, I would send a copy to the State and Federal governments*, plus several TV stations and radio stations in your geo area.

*I will research which department you should send it to if you desire.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OH, you asked for "country logic", and not common sense. The two might not be synonymous, so please disregard my post. :smile2:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Too late now. Ya tipped your hand. Not very ghostly of ya. LOL! How about torches,sickles and pitch forks and we go visit the good old boys. LOL! That or I can round up Tony and the rest of the crew from Joisy and handle it.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    aahhhh, my friend, yes, i have been there and done that. that is why i live outside the city limits now. living in town, i felt an obligation to speak up when things weren't right...and there are plenty of times like that here. the city officials are glad to see me not writing to the paper, and they feel NO inclination to annex my street:wink::smile2:

feeling a kind of kindred spirit towards you, i say do it...with one caveat - say right up front you are doing this for another, and you both see it the same way(maybe sign both of your names - that is common when people agree). should it come to a head, and they figure out it was you that wrote it, they will try to use that against you. so, right up front, say "me and Joe-Bob got to talking about this and here is how we feel"

and talk to the feds too....desecrating graves is a crime:confused2:

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do the national media thing. There is no reason for either one of you to put your name in the paper unless you just want to take credit for uncovering the story. With that will come risks. Unless you guys just want the attention an a fight, you would be wise to remain anonymous. I know that the local paper won't publish the letter without a name, but why stay local? The job will still get done and I might see it on CNN. Oh yeah, you might want to mention that there may be a possibilty of a few native Americans buried there too. :wink:

14. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heck yeah, stir that puppy good! National media!!:big_smile: I like to watch those types of people go down.:0a37:

But just a warning.....
    stay AWAY from that property and the guy that dozed it. It's gonna be haunted and you don't wanna bring none of those peed off ghosts home with ya!:smile2:

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Give Em Hell Postbeetle. Never say die!!!! Seems like jail time is in order for some good old boys.

Beetle, I love to agitate, I would send copies to elected officials and news networks. It's easy, they all have emails these days. Old Greta on Fox would be all over this, she loves to chase dead bodys.

You can stir the pot royally without any money going out on your part. That's the beauty of these computers. And with the spell check, ya looks edjumakated. lol

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    John I say if you believe in the cause and its not even your signature being used go for it. Now I would make sure your friend wont ever breath a word about you writing that letter, that would be my main concern.

People like this can make life hard on you and your family if they find out you were in on it.

Just remember that folks like this have enemies also. I would think some young buck politician wanting to make a name for himself might be able to do some damage.

John, I'm pretty sure I know what your gonna do already....good luck.

-Jim-

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    maintain deniability. By virtue of the fact you have posted the question here, you have lost the ability to maintain innocence. I would not want anything or anyone to come back later and have something to say to you. The situation is dead wrong, no doubt. I may have had family in that grave yard, they were wood workers as you described that moved west with expansion and fought for the CSA during the war of Northern Aggression. Perhaps a more subtle approach such as getting a reporter to look into the matter would be better. Usually, just a point in the right direction will do the trick. Now if you are willing to accept the consequences of your actions, then go for it. I personally will always fight for what is right and honorable, after I have weighed the consequences of my actions on those that I love. Hard decision, think about it then do what you got a do.

18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    PB I would get the media involved, they love this kind of thing and can stir things up on a larger scale. Just watch yourself it sounds like these guys you speak of are capable of anything.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I appreciate you folks input. I ain't the smartest wombat in the tree and perhaps I should not have put this up here. I will follow my conscience but will play this as best I can. I will say that for now I will not say too much until the proverbial excrement hits the floor running. I will let you know what happens, even if nothing.

John.

20. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Geez its too bad that guy dug up an "american native" grave site.Boss hog wouldnt have a chance.Just find one artafact even if you have to put it there.The tribe will do the rest.
    smokey