lets vote on it

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I personally would like to see the wels catfish introduced into our lakes and rivers. i would love to fish for those things and will as soon as i get a chance to run over to europe and due so. im JJ about letting an invasive species loose, but it would be kinda cool if our eco system could handle them.

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    We may have to release them ,they are about the only species I know that could eat those asian carp.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    from what one of my sources has told me the DNR in Florida did something simular to that with the tilapia and peacock bass... the talapia got introduced down there and was out of control so they released the peacock bass to get them under control....

you could be onto something, i would love to have the chance at those monsters....

4. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Watched a River Monsters show on Animal Planet Channel the other night. It was about the Wels catfish. It has been introduced in several places across Europe. Wherever it has been introduced and was not native it has taken over completely and devistated the other native species of fish. According to what they told on the show, they have been known to drag people under water because they are so aggressive and big. Not sure we would want them in any US waters. You can see how the asian carp is taking over in all of the rivers and lakes here.

5. puskin

puskin New Member

State:
    Italy
    hi, silurus was introduced in italy about 50 years ago, there aren't studies about its impact on the native species but i only can tell you that the legends about Wels are totally infoundated. Here the water problems are pollution (heavy metals and industrial discharges). The provinces since 10 years ago, pulled in our waters tons of fries directly from East Europe to economize. In these cargo there were welscatfish, Zander (similar to your walleyes), Aspes, Crucian Carps and Breams.
    For these reasons and thanks to some people who wanted to introduce voluntarily those species, we live know with freshwaters populated of about a 95% of non-native fishes (in Po river in particular).
    The reason of the undisputed adaptative success of alloctons in Italy can be sought in the greater resistance to pollution of silurus (and breams and crucians in particular) than other similar native species like Northern pike or Sturgeons, that disappeared long before the coming of the alloctons!
    Now the situation is good, there are plenty of fishes, but silurus going to disappear, leaving (dangerously) a ecol.niche free.

6. We already have the bassmasters up here crying about the Flatheads, love to see the look on thier face when they see one of those suckers next to a tree stump!:big_smile::smile2:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ciao Andrea,
    Come stai? Benvenuti a BOC!

...W

8. puskin

puskin New Member

State:
    Italy
    infact here italian bassmen hate wels totally :angry:
    and regularly kill it because the law doesn't allow to release this specie

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    BRING EM ON!! who cares bout crappie!! :smile2:

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    "f^$$ your baitcaster fancypants!!"
    Mr. Wels addressing "Drag"

11. puskin

puskin New Member

State:
    Italy
    anyway wels isn't a monster, it has a particular "alimentary cicle". This fish alternates rare moments of food frenzy when you can see the biggests of the colony rising upon the surface to catch breams or other cyprinids. It's a fantastic situation because you can hear the noise of the knocking mandibules perfectly and you can catch till 3 or for specimens. But as a rule, fishing wels presupposes a lot of patience. You can go out 4 or 5 times all night without seeing movements, no activity for all the time. Extreme spinning could help but generally you can catch at maximum one or two pieces in 3-5 sessions.
    The supposed scientists of the provinces say its an invasive fish but the fishermans know well that is a mystification of a reality made by pollution and poaching.
    Personally i have found big silurus in freshwaters rich in cyprinids and other fishes as never seen. Also in small channels for examples

12. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    nope don't want'em period.

13. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    We got Snakeheads...don't need no Wels catfish. If I want to catch one ( and I would love to) I'll go to Spain and do battle. Otherwise, no thank you!

14. :embarassed::angry::smile2:

15. puskin

puskin New Member

State:
    Italy
    not talking about putting wels in USA, im not crazy, but i only want to esplain us that silurus is simply a (big) fish, not a vacuum cleaner for the bottom of the rivers :wink: