Lets try to get a limit on how many big fish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by russ, Aug 23, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    hi ,e1 after fishing in diff. tourneys in other states. it seems to me that we need a limit on the big fish . some states you can have only one fish above 34 inches long. that still works for tourneys that will allow your partner & your self a fish over 34 inches . dont know why mo. dosent have the same law. just a thought i might be wrong but i see a lot of big fish caught on set lines & they kill them, if they want fish to eat let them keep the 3 to 12 pounders. just dont see any reson to keep a 50-60 pound fish to eat. what do you think. russ

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I agree, but wish IL. would do something also!

4. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    I like the idea of keeeping people from cleaning alot of the big fish but I have and will catch more than 2 34inch fish in tourneys. It would take the impressive weights out of tournaments that draw alot of people. I think the fishing is better and bigger than ever on the river and will continue to get that way wether they do anything or not. If they want to do something enforce the possession limit and start checking some freezers that are totally full of catfish. Start with that.

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Your right too! Each state must enforce the laws on the books now before u anything can be done. I have fished on the Mississippi river around Alton & St. Louis for the last 10yrs and i have never been checked for anything.

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    talked with our mdc guy at the la meet and greet and he said we need to talk to the fisheries biologist and try a trophy area below and above the dams which would be cpr only no lines or nets which would only be a mile below and a mile above he said if they put that in the books illnois would have to go along because of the aggrement they have

7. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I think Ill. and Mo. needs a law that does not allow any catfish over X inches, or 10LBs to be kept. If you want to eat catfish Keep 1 to 10 Lbs fish. This law should be for commercial fisherman, Trout liner, and Rod/reel fisherman. I know you guys are saying what about Tournaments, I have a simple solution for that, A tournament licence, an extra ten dollars per contestant to State revinues, We have liences for deer hunting so why cant we have trophy cat licences for tournaments, that way the big fish get put back into the water. I know there are guys who will complain about the extra money. But I ask you guys this, DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO CATCH BIG CATS? This sport is groing fast and not every one fishes with the same values. I have a friend form college who though i was crazy for throing 15Lb Flathead back. We continually argue over keeping big fish. If they pass a law and enforce it my friend will not have a choice.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't believe it will ever happen. Not in a million years. They won't restrict the public from being able to keep at least 1 big fish. The public outcry would be enormous.

Let 'em keep one if they want, better than no law at all. We just need to stop the mass slaughter and set some commercial fishing limits.

Shoot for too much restriction and it won't fly. It's not like they are currently an endangered species.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Now thats just a little off the rocker for me. They don't even do something that wild and crazy for bass. There's a heck of a lot more money involved with bass tournaments and fishing then catfishing. You need to think just a little before you start going hog wild. Now I'm all for a slot limit or something. BUt I tell you what if i catch a record fish, state or world. I dang well want to keep it for the time that it takes to get certified. Your rule I would not be able too. Unless it was in a tournament.....

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    How about a law that allows only one fish 40 inches or bigger to be kept in a YEAR, with a provision for temporary retention in catch and release tournaments? Manitoba does something similar with Walleye on the Red River, and compliance is accomplished by requiring the angler to record the fish immediately on the back of their license.

11. holeinthewall

holeinthewall New Member

State:
    mo
    I think you guy are right throw the big one`s back if you want to eat some catfish keep the 3 to 5 pound one`s?

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For your information.. Tournaments are CPR anyhow.

13. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    we all need to unite and start a group because we can talk all day long about this but we need to get a gathering with the right people and voice are concerns

14. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I do tournament by myself and this would not be fair I know one thing if this happens I will never do tournaments again

15. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    make the guys who set lines buy a linesetting lic. that like trapping you have to have trapping lic. for that

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I said this about 2 and 5 months ago about the same subject under a different thread heading here in Missouri alone. SO what are we going to do about it this time? Everybody gets fired up about it.. We see the same arguements with slight twists but nothing ever gets done.. I think the last time we almost got to writing up a proposal to then find a sponsor for the bill. Shall we work on this or just wait another 3 months and Ill copy and save this message for that one also.. So here we sit once again.. WHat are we going to do???

cc: File.. MO 34 inch rule

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    WHat are we going to do???

unfortunatly, it would seem nothing.

Just a couple weeks a go the MDC had a series of meetings regarding making an 81 mile stretch of the Missouri River a trophy fishery with restricted creel limits. These meetings were very poorly attended By "us" (CPR anglers) and very well attended by the set liners. I'm guilty as well, We got caught in traffic from the Chiefs pre-season game and couldn't make it out of KC in time to make the meeting. No excuse, I should have left earlier. I was dissapointed My opinion wasn't heard. Irregardless, by a show of hands at these meetings, the vast majority of attendees were agianst the more restrictive limits. We HAD an opportunity to get something started. We let it slip away.

If such an opportunity ever arises again, We must make every effort to attend as many of these meetings as we can. (the set liners sure do). We have been given the oportunity to protect Our resource but fail to represent. Kevin Sullivan resource scientist specailzing in catfish for the MDC has told Me that conservation minded fishermen are always out numbered when they have meetings about restricting catfish limits. If We EVER want things to change We have to start attending these meetings. Talk is cheap fellas, Talk is cheap!!! If You want to make a difference We must attend these types of meetings even if it doesn't affect water You normally fish, We have to get this started somewhere!!!!

18. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    At one time there was no such thing as catch and release in bass fishing. But from some wise fishermen and word of mouth about catch and release, it caught on. We all need to continue to practice what we preach. It will catch on. Keep preaching CPR . My brother and I will not keep anything over 10lbs. We really just started getting serious about fishing cats. I dream of those big whiskered cats all day and all night. Keep talking CPR, it will spread like the wind. Good luck, and God Bless

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would be in favor of certain areas being designated trophy areas, and better creel/size limits, but not statewide. The 1 fish over 32" would be fine by me. Even having to purchase an extra permit to run lines would be OK with me. Heck, we just cut the bluecat creel in half a few years ago. As far as flatheads go, I like the texture of a 20# fish more than smaller ones, but that's just my opinion. For one, catfish are nowhere near becoming extinct. For second, I don't think that the regulations need to cater to trophy fishermen. I think they should be fair for all, but should consider the health of the fish poulation more important than our customized ideals of what the population should be like. In a body of water like the Mo. River, where maybe 5% of the river recieves fishing pressure regularly, these aggressive restrictions are unwarranted. Look how many years commercial fishing was legal, yet large catfish were still available. Now it is not legal. Fishing can only get better. If anything will hurt the catfish population in the river, it will be the carp eating their eggs. Yes, tourney fish are released but if they are held too long, and not properly handled, and cared for, some will end up dead, and that is more of a waste than someone keeping a couple of fish to eat.

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hate to admit it, but Brad is right. Until we are more organized, they will always out number us. Why, that is their living for one thing. In the mean time, we need to continue education about CPR and the Sport of Catfishing until we get it together even more. We are still growing here in BOC as we have about 200 members from Missouri. Of that, maybe 30 percent will actively participate here in our Missouri area on the site. The thing to do now would be for us to go ahead and write up what we need and plan a gathering at the same time the meeting for the State happens. This alone will tip them off to be in the on guard readiness. We know they are everywhere anyway watching our every move. This being an open board subject that anyone can see does not give us any advantage at all. Think about it.. Until a few of the leaders can come together and agree on a plan it just will not work. There is no use of us even talking about a plan as perhaps we need to have a committee of ones we trust and maybe Paul or BOC could give us an area to work. This not only needs to happen for Missouri, but for all the other states also. My old saying “We have to work together” even more applies.. Once again. Brad is right.. Talk is cheap when it comes to enacting laws..