Lets talk shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by harper81, Nov 6, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Now when people say they use shrimp for bait are we talking raw uncooked shrimp or some left over dinner shrimp? I had some shrimp last night for dinner and had some left overs, but like a dummy I forgot to put them in the fridge to eat later. So I tossed them in a bag and back in the freezer for catfish purposes. Will they work or is uncooked shrimp the way to go?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use raw shrimp myself although Ive seen folks use cooked shrimp. Hope this helps.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have never tried cooked shrimp but I have been on the boat with someone trying it. He did not have any luck with the cooked shrimp, while two of us were having great success with raw shrimp. I always use raw shrimp for channels and most of the time it out fishes other baits. The exception is fresh cut shad or creek chubs.
    Wal-Mart carries a blue bag of shell on raw shrimp for about $10 that I use. It is frozen in individual pieces and not one giant ball. I separate what I need and put the rest back in the freezer for later. I use butter bowls, zip lock bowls, or any other plastic bowl with a lid on it to take the shrimp on the boat. I always keep it in the cooler on ice and try to keep it as fresh as possible for frozen shrimp. I have tried the fresh shrimp from the sea food counter and not did as well as the bags from Wal-Mart. That part is more than likely just in my head.:big_smile:
    I just dip the container with the frozen shrimp into the lake for a few seconds, drain off the water and peel the shrimp. I also change my bait every 30-45 minutes, depending on water temp and conditions.
    I hope this helps,
    David

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm done trying shrimp, today was the last time I'm bringing any. Out of all the times I've tried it I've only caught one 2lb channel. The only way I used them was uncooked, plain, or with garlic or vanilla in it.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i dont know where your fishing from. but what i have found with shrimp is. i never leave home with out it . but i also noticed my best luck with it . is early in the year. pre - spring and until mid summer. but after that my shrimp bites completly die to nothing. i just realized that this year. last year i was so frustrated cause i couldnt buy a channel. i almost stoped fishing for them . this year my bite once again stoped. so i switched to livers this time of year. and live bait. and have landed more fish now then ever. they will eat anything . but some times there picky . before you give up on raw shrimp. wait until early spring and through it . and try it more . you might be surprised. i have done so well with shrimp. i cant hardly stand not haveing one rod set with it .good luck everyone

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well Mike, since you asked me so nicely to not give up I wont, LOL. I sure would love to be able to use them...easy to get, stays on the hook pretty good and,...cheap, what more could a catfisherman want, LOL. I eat a lot of shrimp so I usually have some here anyway. Maybe with some luck next spring I will be eating shrimp and cats : )

thanks Mike

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have good luck with raw shrimp all year. I don't know if it area related or what but my best time of year is now. I haven't gotten any pictures this year (haven't been keeping many and the wife don't let me away from home with the camera) but here is one of some eaters last year at the end of Nov (date on picture). I caught over 14 channels (all caught on shrimp) on three hours this night and these were just a few I keep for the table. Sometimes Shrimp works great with a big juicy night crawler on the same hook. Sometimes it is just plain old raw shrimp. I mostly catch small channels of the shrimp but I have caught them up to 32 inches on shrimp. Not a monster but still a good channel for where I caught it.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Raw shrimp is my go to bait for channels.. I have even gotten a few flathead on raw shimp as well.. Use a khale hook with shrimp.. It will hide the hook best.
    ~A

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Never tried cooked shrimp--never had any leftover. Sometimes I have had good luck with the raw.Some nights they want plain, other nights vanilla flavor (never botth on the same night). Some nights they want red meat, so I feed 'em liver. Shrimp are EZ to keep, and light to carry so I always toss some in the cooler.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

raw is the way I use shrimp. Keep it cold. I have been known to sprinkle some garlic powder on the shrimp the night before I use but for the most part I use it plain and raw.

11. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    I have never at one time used shrimp and came back empty handed, to me it is the best thing next to natural bait fish.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So, you want to talk shrimp eh? OK here we go....

"shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it".
    ...W

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I always soak my raw shrimp in vanilla the night before I go. Almost always catchs something.:smile2:

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It seems to me that you all out west have a lot of success with shrimp. I've tried it several times here in KY with very minimal success. (maybe too many crawdads, i.e. the real thing for them to be fooled??). i dunno

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Nicely quoted. I'll never forget that scene...

Raw is the only way I've tried shrimp and it's probably the better way. There may be much better scent dispersion and softness in raw than there is in cooked. This year just wasn't a big shrimp year for me though. Then again I was going for the monsters with big live bait.

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I've been using (raw) shrimp for a while - it usually works pretty well on eater size fish, mostly channels. The largest cat I have caught using shrimp was an 11# blue. During the summer months when the water is warm & the shrimp turns pink on the hook after being in the water for a while (it's pretty much cooked then), I put on fresh shrimp 'cause the fish stop biting. Hope that this helps.

17. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We use shrimp alor tend to catch smaller fish but hey its got fins and eyes so who cares. We use raw shrimp recently we have been using the cajun spiced shrimp and it seems to work pretty good at my lake almost as soon as it hits the bottom you get a bite. Give spiced shrimp a try youl be surprised.:eek:oooh:

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have caught some little channels on raw shrimp. never used it cooked. can't really see why it wouldn't work can't hurt to throw one out for a little bit see if anything hits it

19. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I've had a lot of success with raw shrimp over the years. I was always told to avoid the cooked shrimp and so I did. I've caught a few channels that had cooked shrimp in them, so I know they'll eat'em, but I have no doubt raw is better. I always leave the shell on too because the hook holds better. After fishing it for a while I'll cut open the belly and end of the shrimp a little to disperse more scent before I toss it and put on a fresh one.