Let's talk fishfinders

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by driftin blues, Oct 6, 2009.

1. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    What are you guys using? I am using a new Lowrance high def 7 inch, I like the sonar on it but am not sold on the built in gps seems like it could be better, when you set a waypoint it is like you can be 50 yards from it an it still shows you right there, I have set waypoints on the parking lots of boatramps on truman and when you go the next time it will show that you are in the water I am seriously questioning the accuracy of it . Out on the water you can set a waypoint and then try to come back to it and it seems like you are not at exactly the same spot, I would like to add the Navionics chip but there is some kind of glitch where you have to use the older Navionics it supposedly will not read the newer navionics cards. It also loses bottom at higher speeds, as has every unit I have ever owned, I have tried many different mounting points and always have the same results. Loses bottom at high speeds and seems to go crazy from disturbances such as increasing your idle speed or lots of waves.
    How about the hummingbirds? I know a lot of guys rave about the side imaging, but have also seen a lot of guys complaining about the transducers causing a rooster tail and also complaining that the mounting brackets for the transducers are not well made on the hummingbirds. I have never used one so I do not know.
    I am curious what everyone is using and what you consider to be the pros and cons of the different units. Thanks for any info you can give me. I am a low tech guy and these things can be confusing.
    Good Fishing!

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    one thing to remeber when setting waypoints is how far you are zoomed in or out. If you are zoomed way out when you set a waypoint it is not going to be that accurate

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    One thing to remember about GPS is that the unit doesnt set the accuracy.Depending on the signal and satellite availability the nominal error can be as much as 100 mtrs at any given moment.Best case accuracy on average is 10-20 mtrs.This error is for a number of reasons but I would suggest that you go to the Lowrance website and read the tutorial on GPS and it will explain it for you .Its not the units fault either Lowrance or Hummingbird.Many people have an incorrect vision that GPS will return you to the exact same spot every time.Only the miltary units have that capability for obvious reasons.It will get you close so you can find your structure or place with relative ease.Your unit will give you a display of the accuracy available at any given moment.

4. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As bad as this sounds I am not sure what model..I think its a 767 humminbird w/ external dome GPS. As far as a graph I dont really like it that much. The picture just does not show me what I see on my friends 5 series Lowrance. That being said the GPS is spot on. Like it can put me on the same branch of the same brush pile every time. Sometimes I wish I did not have so much faith in the GPS on the thing. It would have been replaced by now but thats a good problem I guess:roll_eyes:

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Doug have you tried going to the lowrance web site to down load updates? I have a HDS 5 and I downloaded an update shortly after I bought it and don't have any problems with waypoints or track logs.

6. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Guys, thanks for the responses I will take your advice and check the lowrance website for updates. As I have said I am not a high tech guy but I would like to get the most out of this unit that I can, the graph is top notch compared to anything I have had before just would like to feel more comfortable about the accuracy of the gps.