Let's Talk Catting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by vlparrish, Oct 11, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Anybody here need to know a thing or two about catting in rivers, just ask. If I don't have an answer someone else will. Vern

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    yeah vern, i am gonna go out this weekend. looking for some blues-depths, baits, etc. they are biting at. although this cold front could mess everything up...

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Max, this past week I was catching all of the big three in swift water around thirty feet deep. Also catching flatheads and channels in the shallows. Got most on split shad, some on large shad cut. Was getting them on the lower side of points. Vern

4. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i try and try and try and i caint catch a blue catfish i fish the cumberland river we mark fish no bites so i dont know wat we are doin wrong

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have never fished the cumberland river. But on the Ohio i do my bext blue catfishing in a little deeper water than flats and channels. usually 30-45 feet. I usually look for some slackwater next to swifter moving water. like a point of something. We use large shad, cut in some way, although there have been times when they will only touch large whole shad.

This might not be the best way to catch them but it is how i've had my best luck, good luck and keep us posted!

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Brent, we fished the Cumberland at the national and caught a couple of blues. Blues tend to like current. So from what I can tell of the cumberland you need to fish in the channel. Also look for sharp depth changes and ledges, that is their preffered stomping grounds. They will usually be in the deeper water at these spots. Also the current breaks at the edge of large eddy holes are another preffered haunt. Good luck. Vern

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have a question for those members that fish inner coastal rivers. How far upstream from the mouth of a coastal river do you have to go to catch Channels,Blues and Flathead catfish? And do they bite in brackish water or does it have to be fresh water? This might be a dumb question but was just curious.

8. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Vernon, i hate to ask a dumb question, but could you please tell me the difference in blue, flat and channel cats? Also, can you tell me where each prefers to "hang out"? I hear alot on here about homemade recipes, how come you don't use any?

Sorry if any of the questions seem obvious to ya, guys. But I'm just trying to learn a little:big_smile:

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Hey Vern, Great post! This is the kind of meat and potatoes that I am looking for. By far one of the most informative post on here. Maybe you should have your own section "cattin 101". LOL. Keep it coming.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    vern is the man and seems to always get on some fish, i would take anything he says to heart. when you gonna get me on those monster fall blues vern???

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

My suggestion ( for what its worth :big_smile: ) Is to not be afraid to fish relatively faster water than you might be used to. Try to find humps or rock type structure in the main part of a channel, or right along the edges (the hill, or "break" of the channel) also can produce very well-
    I fish relatively fast current, and I do not anchor down, I drift fish, which I beleive is an art in and of itself. I also rarely use cut baits until the dead of winter.
    So I'd mainly remember not to be scared to try something non-traditional, it may pay off big!
    Good luck!
    PS if none of this works come to chickamagua, we'll catch more blue than we know what to do with :cool2:
    -Chris

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Here in SC we have a lot of tidal rivers.I have sit in certain holes and caught flounder, spot, redfish, and blues and channels at the same time.I havent caught any flatheads close to saltwater but blues and channels will go into saltwater I dont know how long bu tthey go into it.

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kelli, The difference between a blue and a channel is not quite as obviious for some as the flathead. The flathead is pretty much the prime example of what his name implies. The flathead will vary in color from almost white to dark black, but will always have an underbite and a flattened head. The flathead also will have a rounded tail fin unlike the forked tails of the blues and channels. The method I learned to distinguish blues from channels, is not so much the color variations, but the hump. A blue cat will have a hump directly forward of his dorsal fin, a channel will not.
    Max, patience on the winter blues. It is just now fall. The bigguns won't be easy to find until December or later. Vern

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    vern, i got a good fall spot I am going to try tomorrow, keep ya posted. hopefully you will be driving up here saturday. well actually you are welcome to come tomorrow too if you'd like.

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey vern I got one for ya. At night should I be fishing the bends in rivers or straight flats and if flats shallow or deep? And as far as fishing the bends goes should I be having better luck fishing a narrow tight bend or a bend that sweeps wide and almost forms a pond?

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Terry I don't know if you have flatheads in NJ but they like stretches with wood cover along the bank. Long,slow river bends will accumulate lots of logs, a prime area to fish. Small channels will be around the same areas because they are more numerous. The larger channels will be absent cause the flats will drive them away. (they eat the small ones) If you don't have flatheads then the channels will be in the wood piles, fish close to the bank upstream from the structure with some form of live or cut bait. Another good spot is a sandbar with deeper water nearby, they use the deep water to move and the sandbar to feed. The faster water at the head of a hole is also a good place to put a bait cause the active fish in the hole always move there to get the first bait to wash into the hole.

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Terry, I would fish the bends day or night if I was targeting blue cats. Look for a bend that has a high steep bank along the outside of it. These bends will usually have a good underwater ledge. Also these type bends will normally have heavier current, which is what blues like. It doesn't matter if the bend is sharp and narrow or wide and sweeping. What matters is you are fishing the channel and the current. Vern

18. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Vern, you forgot my homemade bait question. Wouldn't it be easier to make your bait in the winter instead of trying to catch bait? I don't remember you ever using homemade bait(doughballs). Are they just not effective in this area?

Sorry people for using this thread to ask my husband questions. I don't get time to ask him much. If he's out of bed then he's gone fishing.:wink:

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kelli, I guess fish can be and are caught in this area with homemade and commercial baits. Personally I like to use a bait that is familiar to the fish here, like shad, skipjacks and bluegills. Also, by using live fish for bait, I can target all three of the larger species of cats in the river. Commercial and homemade baits are generally used to target channel catfish, although at times other fish might bite them. That is why I have the frozen bags of shad in the outside freezer. lol Just in case the bait gets hard to come by. Vern

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Vern would those tactics work for flats and channels too?