Let's talk about rigs!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 9, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    everyone has their own style and way to pursue their catfish. there are many different types of hooks, sinkers , and modified rigs nearly for every situation and species. i have had alot ask about my rigs or how i fish, and i can honestly say or tell those that it depends on situation. area. bait im fishing, and even down to the time of year... For example... if fishing heavy structure for channel cats, and im talking logjams that are thick!!!! i fish an easy straight rig consisting of an egg or flat sinker 2-5oz. a bead, then hook.. i think most peoples problem is they don't understand that nearly 80 percent of the time when they snag up. it isn't the hook snagging it is the sinker..so keep it close to the hook!!! when keeping the sinker hook rig all together you don't snag as much, and your chances of working a hangup out is alot better.. most of the time lifting the rod till you feel it hang, then dropping the tip some.. if fishing flatheads in the same area, i fish a 3-way rig of a shorten length. the main line to the 3-way, the line to the hook no more than 4 in. in length, and the sinker line of alot lighter test around 20lb. only around a foot in length. Fishing lakes,,, i fish all slipfloats.. i also fish some of these on a straight rig, and sometimes on a 3- way still , and even under a new rig i have been trying out as a 4-way!!! i will post and explain that one later. lol i could go on and on here and probably will add more later as posts are are coming in.. so my question is do you adjust your style to the area you are fishing, the bait using, or the type of fish you are after? speak your piece on your technique .....goodluck bro's....rollo

2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I mainly fish with one rig a 2-5 oz sinker bead swivel tied to a 40lb leader. i change sinker size depending on current. sometimes as rollo said i will use no swivel or leader when the snags are really bad.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    For me its usually the Carolina rig...But I am going to be trying different rigs shortly. I have experimented with the 3 way in past, I think I am gonna go back to it shortly.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes, the barrel-swivel rig is fine in open water, but.. my gig is why fish that rig when you can fish a 3-way or another rig i fish called a mod. 3-way with two barrels the first sliding on the line,bead, then the second one with 5-8in. of 200lb. plus nylon trotline to the hook.. the main-line is connected to the swivel and the 200lb. line on the other end . i run 20-30lb line on the sinker.. most the time 12-18 in. thanks for posting josh...rollo

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man that sounded confusing I may need some pictures....LOL My mind can't compute things like that today for some reason..:eek:oooh:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    travis, i will try to post some pic.s tommorrow. if you wanna see... rolllo

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    right on man I will check them out...

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i like tying my sinker on a sliding swivel also.......i don't know what the rig is called , i've always called it a three way slip rig.........i use 10# test to tie it on so i can break off easy in a snag...........

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im interested in seeing some pics of that rig too. im looking for some new rigs to try on the GMR because i know alot of nice holes that you can throw in but not reel in until you get a hit or you are almost gaurenteed to get snagged up:angry: but when you get a run it seems to always be decent fish coming out of these spots:wink:

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    simply tie a sinker onto a barrel swivel- then thread your main line through the swivel, allowing the swivel/sinker to slip up and down your line. Tie another swivel on the end of your main line alone with your leader & hook.
    I tie my sinker on a short piece of line (usually 3-5 inches) so it won't wrap around my leader.

I just respooled my reels with 30# ande line. This year I'm gonna start using 50# line for my leaders. Polamor knots all the way around, and snelled hooks.

I've looked on here for hook snelling information and I can't figure out how to snell a hook without the main line going through the eye of the hook. I've watched Big Georges video and all and it seems difficult to snell like that for me. An old salt water angler showed me a way to snell where you simply thread the eye of the hook then wrap the main line 7 times around the tag end of the line and the hook shank. Then run the other end of your leader back through the eye, moisten and tigthen. Is this method of snelling still effective ?

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Aaron, thats what is called a modified-slip rig. It acts like a 3-way, but still allows for free-spooling.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Pretty much all my fishin is in big tidal rivers and the attached feeder creeks. I use and am very happy with the good old carolina rig. Appropriate size no roll sinker,piece of rubber tubein,barrel swivel and a snelled hook with about a 10 to 14 inch leader. Only twist I put on it is a float that slides onto the leader and is pinned in place about 4 inches back from the hook. The float is about the size of a jumbo egg. Purpose is to keep the bait susspended up from the bottom a bit for easy access by the fish. I use the rubber tubein in place of a bead. This allows the knot to go into the tubein keepin it from gettin pounded by the sinker. The tubein rests against the swivel. For those that use beads ya gotta make sure that the hole in the bead is large enough to let your knot fit into. Otherwise you may be defeatin the purpose. If the knot ain't goin into the bead ya are gonna have your sinker poundin that knot rite against your swivel. This is why I like the tubein. Slip floats are alot of fun. However with fishin the tides the opportunity to use em effectively are limited.

14. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Try this site, its pretty good for knots.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I usually do this myself use an egg sinker 3 to 5 oz with a swivel rated for 40lb
    also use 30 trilene big game line on both sides usually not more the sinker than 6 to 12 inches and the swivel not more than 3 inches from the hook to help keep from snagging works real well.:big_smile: