Lets talk a little more about the fall feeding frenzy

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 26, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I have been catfishing for decades, I have never experinced what many of you call the fall feeding frenzy?

I do Much better in prespawn, and right after the spawn that I do in the fall.

I have caught fish in the fall, but nothing that would come close to a frenzy?

I have tried different things, down sized baits, fished deep water shallow water, nothing seems to work well.

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    A feeding frenzy can happen any time during the year,I've been on water lots of times when i didn't have enough time to bait a second pole,it comes and goes, water temps dictate fish movement, just gotta be there to intersect them

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Lastnight I caught 20+ Channels and 3 Flatheads in the same hole :roll_eyes:. It was prety crazy for about 4 hrs. All the fish were fat.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, the flatheads feed and feed right up till they hole up and quit. The places I get them are right around the wintering holes where they stay all winter. Not all holes are good wintering holes. I have better luck fishing the ones that are adjacent from the main river channel, and the current isn't pushing through.. The flats seen to start moving in these areas in late fall, and will start a good bite around these areas until they build up enough to get them through the coldest months until spring... If you don't have any of these deeper areas chances are alot of your fish move south to towards the Ohio River. But, I have seen where not all deep holes are wintering holes. They prefer the ones that are away from the channel better...rollo

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    is there a minimun depth for a wintering hole? The hole I fish in the spring and summer is 20feet, but the fish leave this hole in the fall..I know of a 10 feet hole that is away from the current in slack water, would this be deep enough for a wintering hole?

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jack, these are very good questions and I will defer to the experts. I just wanted to post!!:wink:

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive never experienced a fall feeding frenzy either. Ive found it to be more suttle than the pre-spawn bite.

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    when i first joined the BOC, i sent Paul (catfish commando) a pm, about making a chart on fish movements, ideas like a regional map that shows boundary waters of different cat species, water temperature effects, peak feeding and spawning times..etc. Paul said that they were working on a similar project and that it might be out by the first of the year. Maybe we, Ohio guys can make up a chart, dealing with some of the same ideas. something like a poll once or twice a week, what do you guys think?

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets go Shane, you are as a much of an expert as anyone here...Spill the beans:roll_eyes:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jack, 10 ft should be plenty. At least worth a look. Depth might be the last factor to consider. First would be current and bottom composition. They don't want to expend any more energy than they have to to hold in a spot. They don't want to hole up all winter if the bottom is silty, a gravel or rock bottom would be prefered. And/or a spot with logs or chunk rock to lay behind. The closest you can find to optimum. But not all rivers will have that because of dams, so they look for the next best. I'm still looking for that hole or holes on my favorite stretch.lol

11. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Where I fish Fall is probably some of the best Blue Cat fishing anywhere I've fished. Past trips have seen 20 plus fish over 20# and many in the 30 ,40 and 50# class. We are spoiled with what is available to us and we know it. But fall and winter are exciting times for big cats for us

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I fish a large lake with a hot water discharge from a power plant, so your results may vary :wink:

When I say "Fall Feeding Frenzy", Im more referring to a heavy feeding pattern than just going and hooking up with 10 or more flathead in a nite..
    As the days get shorter and temps drop, they go into a feed pattern kinda like pre spawn to fatten up for the cold days of winter..

One of hot spots in my main flathead lake is off the damn face, which is also the deepest part of the lake.. The rock bank extends pretty far out in about 25-35 foot of water and I guess they cruising it looking for a tasty treat.

Last Sat my fishing partner pulled in a 37#, two days before that, a 40# was pulled out about 20 yards up the bank, and a day before that another was pulled in I think it broke 50#... Also, in the same area last year, couple of fellas pulled in 4 all between 15-25# in one nite... This area consistently produces large flathead in the 15-+65lb range year after year during the fall.

This is another area of the lake they seem to concentrate in during this time as well, the arm with the hot ditch (hot water discharge from power plant), which also consistently produces multiple large fish year after year..

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree Skip, you saw first hand last year one of my wintering areas.. It has to be a little different than one would think.. Most holes are associated with strong current at certain times of the year, thats how they scour. But, my best spots are ones that scour, and in return lack strong current during the average and lower water levels. Not have a main channel running through them all year!!!!. The deepest of these holes often aren't as good for that reason, too much current.. I also agree that these places need to have some type of structure associated with them.. rollo

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jack, if it helps,we caught flats at the tail end of the holes today on fresh cut gill. this warm spell will be the time to get your hands on a few lower jaws brother!

GL: tim