Let's See Your Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 15, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let's some the pics of those rod holders. I'm interested in the setups everyone uses when fishing out of the back of the boat.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Dont have any for my boat but in this pic in the background are my bank rod holders!:big_smile:
    [​IMG]

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I made this rodholder out of some scrap wood in my shop :big_smile:

Attached Files:

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    This is what I currently use on my Lund. Does a real good job!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, remember, you asked. Hope I don't get too long winded... Here goes...

Boat Rod Holder

The pattern of this rod holder is one my uncle George used back in the 1950's, and it is still as
    good now as it was then. In them days, it was made on a long shaft that could be sunk into the
    mud/soil to hold cane poles. I have several of that type, plus ones I have modified for use on a
    boat. These instructions are for the boat type of rod holder.

Rod Holder - Figure 1.
    This is a view of the 3/8" round rod marked off in the increments necessary to fabricate the
    rod holder portion of the project. From left to right the measurements are 2 ½", 1 3/8", 2 ½", 6".
    2 ½", 1 3/8" and 2 ½" for an overall length of 18 3/4". If adjustments to these dimensions are
    made, I would suggest the variation be made in the 6" length as I think the dimensions for the
    rest and support are just about right for any pole.

The short piece of 3/8" round rod is 5 ½ “ overall, with an area of approximately 3/4 marked
    for threads to be threaded. I used the 3/8" X 24 tap and drill for this project, but you can use
    basically any size rod, and tap/die that you desire.

Rod Holder - Figure 2.
    This is a view of the long rod with the first bend completed. To make the bends, I cheated
    and heated the metal with an oxygen/acetylene torch at the marks I had scribed on the metal with
    some white chalk.

It also shows the short rod with the threads turned into the metal.

Rod holder - Figure 3.
    This is a view of the holder portion bent to shape and the short piece laying in the position it
    is to be welded.

This narrative will be continued in the next thread.

Attached Files:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is the second part....

BOAT ROD HOLDER - continued.

Base Plates - Figure 4.

This are views of the base plates under different stages of construction. All the plates are 5
    inches in length, the four corner holes are 3/8 “ from the sides and 3/8 “ from the ends. The
    center hole is 2 ½ “ from the ends and 3/4 “ from the sides. A 5/16" hole was drilled at center
    and threaded with a 3/8 X 16 tap. Then a nut of the appropriate size was welded to one side of
    the plate. I then covered it with a grey automotive primer and once all the plates are finished, I
    will coat the pieces with an epoxy paint.

Base Plate - Figure 5.
    This is the base plate fastened to the top rail of the boat with stainless steel screws

Attached Files:

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I should have my setup complete in a couple of weeks! I cant wait.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Bryan,
    I am a big fan of the Driftmaster rod holders. Here is a pic of them used on the bank.

Attached Files:

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
  10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im in the process of making some rod holders for the back of my boat just wondering what angle should i make me rod holders should it be steep or almost flat. i will try to post some pics when i get finished

11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Josh:

I guess it is more of a personal preference. I have the Lil Pro driftmasters on the back of mine. They are at a 5 degree angle. The rest of my boat has the 25 degree flatliner driftmasters.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Okay, I have six on the rear (photo's attached) and three more on each side. The center holders (next to engine) are stainless steel and bent (upwards)about 15 degrees, the next two are homemade (not by me) and the short ones are Driftmasters. I use them all for cats, perch and stripers.

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is the set up in the back of my Alumacraft...W
    (Yes, that is snow!!!)

Attached Files:

14. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Guys here is the rod holder I use they are sweet and not high priced either. They are made by TrollandStow 0004_img.jpg