Let's go fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Whiskerwhacker, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I spent some time on the web today researching channel cat stocking in the hopes of narrowing our choices for a fishing trip, per the discussion on the Master Angler thread.

I included all stocks since 1990 in the lower peninsula. I then took the lakes with the most significant numbers and figured in the lake size to come up with a rough idea of fish density. Obviously there are a LOT more variables that could be considered, but this should give us a rough idea of where the best chances are. The number you see by the body of water is the # of fish stocked per acre since 1990.

Branch Co
    Matteson Lk 177
    Union Lk 203

Eaton Co
    Erickson Pond 133 (Shore fishing only)
    Lake Interstate *

Ionia Co
    Sessions Lk 475

Jackson Co
    Gilletts Lk *

Lenawee Co
    River Raisin *

Montcalm Co
    Townline Lk 150

Clinton Co
    Lk Ovid 132
    Park Lk 50

Washtenaw Co
    Barton Pond 127
    Ford Lk 110
    Geddes Pond 144

Wexford Co
    Hodenpyl Dam Pond 51

Wayne Co
    Belleville Lk 44

*I could not find any info on Lake Interstate. I know where it is but size and access eluded me. I assume that it is shore only but don't know for sure. It had 7320 fish stocked and it is not that big.

*I could not find any info on Gilletts Lake. It had 95,193 fish stocked.

*I could not find any info on River Raisin but it had 176,708 fish stocked.

After I started figuring in the lake size I realized maybe I should have run all the lakes in the stocking page. I only included the ones with big stocks, but some of them were big lakes so it dilluted the stock's impressiveness. It is possible there are some little lakes that were worth mentioning that I overlooked because of this.

We could also consider the Bay and find some inlets or warm water discharges, Sparky may have input on this.

I would say Sessions looks like a good choice. Also look at Union Lake, it has big numbers and the St. Joe flows through it. I don't know if that means that flatties could be there as well or not. It looks like a great cat lake!

Maybe in the next week we can generate some ideas and make a plan. The weather should start cooperating soon. I am oiled and organized with bait in the freezer, chomping at the bit.

I won't be offended if anyone has different or better ideas, the more the merrier.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    What's everybody doing April 28 or 29? (28th would be best for me)

I'm itching to try Sessions Lake, and it has a lot going for it.
    We could meet there, grill up a bunch of burgers or brats, and hit the water from 3-9 PM?
    Anybody interested?

If the weather cooperates we may not need snowmobile suits...

3. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I am interested. The 28th works better as far as I know. Sundays are usually church and family. I think the time you suggested is good. That way we aren't freezing at dawn. We always did better from dawn to mid-morning on Lk Ovid but then again that was in the heat of summer.

Either way it sounds great. If you have Sal's # make sure to let him know.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    OK, the 28th it is.
    Personally, I think dawn fishing is over rated. Besides, I'm a confirmed "night person".
    That gives us almost three weeks for the weather to moderate, the water to warm up some, and more folks to join in. The more boats we have, the more we learn about this lake, so I hope a bunch of folks sign up.

5. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I'm in. Just told wife to keep the 28th open and so far calender looks open. I think this place could be a honey hole if we just put some time into it. I love it because we're only dealing with other fishermen(no wake)and it's fairly small(150+ or - acers),but deep.50+,with lots of structure.

6. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    If anyone has an open seat in their boat, I would like to join the forray on the 28th.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    It sounds like a good time, but I'll most likely still be in the Turkey woods til the first of May. I might being taking a trip to the Cass River or the Bay sometime during the week, if this weather ever brakes. I'll keep you posted on how the fishing picks up on the Bay. For those who have fished up there, they know how hot and heavy it gets the end of April, first of May.
    Keep your lines tight.
    Sparky

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sparky-
    If you have to spend a whole month in the woods to get a turkey, you may want to consider a new passtime! LOL!
    Keep us in mind in case you score early though.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    My permit is for the 23rd of April til the first week-end in May. I also do alot of calling for friends after I get mine.
    Sparky

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Ok Gang,

The long range forecast (for what its worth) calls for rain on the 25th, 26th, and 27th. From what I've learned from a reliable source, this means Sessions Lake is NOT the place to fish on the 28th- assuming the forecast comes true.

If the weather stays reasonably dry for that period, I'd love to keep our plans the same and give that lake a try. BUT, if its as rainy as predicted, we need to have a back-up plan.

Jon- is there decent Public Access at the lake you mentioned?
    Anyone have other suggestions?
    I have launched on the Grand River at the Ionia Fair Grounds, and thats an interesting stretch of river for channels, flats, suckers, carp, etc. There's shore fishing there, too.

What do y'all think?

11. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I don't care either way. I'm sure it will be fun regardless. If it rains does that mean the river will be dark as well?

For what it is worth, we could do a Monroe trip. I don't know where everyone lives but it is an hour and 45 from my house in Owosso. The fishing is GREAT though. I am not sure how to insert a link but look at my Erie post for how we did yesterday. Also the River Raisin is on the other side of the power plant and it empties into Erie so there should be any number of spots to fish. The discharge canal itself is huge. If this sound like something that might work out it would be easy to do. The parking lot at the marina is huge so we could grill right there. There are also vault toilets.

Any way I'm sure we'll come up with something.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Are there any parks or public access areas between Lowell & Lansing that would make for a good place to fish the Grand?
    How about that vacant land where the Grand & Maple converge?

13. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Perhaps check a plat book. Or is it plot book, I can't remember. Anyway the county courthouse should have them and it will show all of the properties and who owns them. That way you can find public land and also the contact name for any private land that looks good. I have done this for hunting out west.

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

Great idea! Let us know what you find! LOL, LOL

15. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah well, my secretary is on vacation, and um, uh, I have a cold and um, my van is broke down, and my great aunt Tillie is coming in tomorrow for a month, so maybe you could take care of it? LOL JK

I could look into it. I will be in Portland on Monday so maybe that will put me in the vacinity. Does anybody know what counties we are talking about, and where the county seats are?

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds like fun to me

17. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Long Lake has a gravel launch with parking for about 15 vehicles/trailers. there is a convience/bait store at the launch and public restrooms. I am not sure if the courtesy pier is in yet. rain does not change the coloration of the water much in this lake.

as for the county seat question......Ionia is the ionia county seat. the confluence of the Maple and the Grand is in Ionia county.

18. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Ha,fella's looks like I'm out now. Have to work that weekend(of course.) Trying to bank some money before I start my house. But to answer Tony's question there is a nice launch right in Ionia at the fairgrounds on the Grand. Thats where I launch out when I flathead in the summertime. Really nice hole up the river maybe a half mile up from the bridge(M-66).Went there last year while I didn't know anything(before boc).Two sharp bends in the river,West bank covered in broken concrete,50 yards downstream two BIG trees in the water 10 yards apart .......(15 foot deep thru that stretch.)Had a hard time anchoring and it was in the middle of the summer.Threw 6 inch bluegill on one pole.Half a bluegill on the other. No bites,but was sitting right on top of the hole,actually in one of the trees,just so my boat wouldn't move down river. Talked to an old flatheader and he said downstream by Saranac was his stomping grounds. 12 inch bullheads for bait and every night caught some dandy's out of there. One was on the wall of vern's sports stop forever.(m-66 and m-43). Saw some guy's bank fishing the broken concrete section upstream of me and were reeling in fish left and right last two hours of light. Nothing huge but looked like alot of fun.There's a shallow stretch between bridge and the hole you have to be careful with but probly not a problem when the water is up. Good luck where ever you guy's end up.

19. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Good info, Trent! Thanks!

I'm watching the forecast constantly, and today's version (4/20) says "scattered showers Friday & Saturday" in the Ionia area.
    Might happen, might not, but we still need to have a plan A & a plan B.

Plan A is still to hit Sessions Lake, right? (where I'm told to fish shallow & sit still).
    Plan B could be the Grand at Ionia, mouth of the Maple, Lowell, Ada, or even Grand Rapids.
    If the water is high & fast, fishing will be tough on the river.
    Long Lake, just NW of Ionia looks like a good early season lake: most of it is pretty shallow, and its not real big. There's a map of it on the DNR website. Go to michigan.gov/dnr/ and click "fishing" on the left side.
    Then scroll down all the way and there's a box in the lower right corner that says "online services". In that box you can click "inland lake maps", choose a county (Ionia), and look at maps of the lakes in the county.

Who's in, and who has a preference?
    We need a roll call to try & figure out boats, pilots, and riders.
    I can only fit one besides myself.

20. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I am planning on picking up info about a plot map if we still need it on Monday. I have a question, do the river fish bite better earlier than the lake fish? I ask because on Ovid Saturday the fishing was slow and weak. Then I saw Riverkat's post and it looked like he was into some fish pretty good. Is this due to the spawn differences in the river?

I have the option to fish the HWD in Monroe again before the main lake warms up and the fish thin out. I don't want to bail on the outing but I also want to catch some fish as my summer is looking very busy. Can you drop some knowledge on me so I can try to make an educated decision?

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure....