Lets go fishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gilmafam, Jul 4, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well, its official... going to Isabella to meet up with some BOC members? Ray "rrsmith" from Bakersfield says he can do it ... on the week end...

My wife and I would get there on Tuesday 14 July .. ifin all goes well, and stay till later in the day on sunday the 18th...

Plan to stay at the South Shore Rec site... which is close to ramp with dock area as well.... This is a "Dry spot" but has RR near by...

The lake is closed to boating at night, but fishing is 24/7.

Not sure of the lake level... don't expect it to be as low as I have seen it over the years... (when I took my skeg of my NEW boat).

I plan on being up to Mendota the following week so it will be a "turn around" for me as I need to meet up with the "Central Valley boys" and chew the fat so-to-speek...

Crappie anyone?... and the ole Catfish as well... Hell, there is even some good trouting there....

Got some links to the area... (the point at the lower end) and some pics of the ramp and dock area....

This lake has wind at times... comes and goes... and the lake has restictions on the water when it is excessive...

2. gilmafam

State:
    California

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Ray! The lake has some nice channels in there. I will look for the report on the lake in the paper and post it for you. Good luck to both you Ray's....:wink:

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    we usually stay at south fork, but down by the water so we can catfish all night long.....I will be there friday around 6:00-7:00pm right after work...so i will see ya there Ray!!!! We will call this a warm up for the mendota trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    heres a couple Lake isabella pics, Yes,dont forget your kern county boat permit pick it up at Isabella market...

Attached Files:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Are you guys taking the boats too?

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    taking mine for sure... Ray maybe hauling his trailer which limits taking the boat???

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Lake Isabella/Bakersfield area

***Bass ***Trout ***Crappie **Catfish *Bluegill

Ed Cordell of Big Ed's Bait and Tackle said the crappie bite has slowed, with the fish moving into deeper water (20-25 feet) near submerged trees. Boat anglers who locate the right structure have been landing crappie to 2.5 pounds on small minnows or minijigs.

Catfishing is improving with frozen shad or mackerel from the shoreline at Camp 9, Boulder Gulch, Robertson Cove and along the east end of the lake. There have been fish to 6 pounds landed with channel cats in the morning with blue cats in the evenings. There's a trout bite for fish to 5 pounds with orange, chartreuse or rainbow Power Bait at the Auxiliary Dam or the Wilford Height Cemetery.

Bass are moving into deeper water, and plastics or jigs are picking up the majority of the fish. The lake dropped to 42% capacity. In the Bakersfield area, bass and panfish are available at all of the local lakes, particularly at River Walk. The carp derby ended on Tuesday with Edward Granillo of Bakersfield taking top honors with an 11-pound fish.

Call: Big Ed's Bait and Tackle (760) 379-4170; Bob's Bait (661) 833-8657; North Fork Marina (760) 376-1812.

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    WOW that is a beautiful lake for sure!

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I will be bringing the boat also..will stay in my campershell it is all set for just that occasion with a nice bed.

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I'm highly tempted to try and get there my self.
    I'd like give that lake a try.

12. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    well then come on up Tom!

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    If my truck was reliable, I would be down there for sure:wink:

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    come on down

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wish I could, my truck cant drive that far right now. You will understand when you see her:smile2:

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Got two choices on the Drive Tom.... front or back... I usually do the back ... just the hill getting over Hwy 14 out of Aqua Dulce, and then north to Mojave and then above "Red rock canyon" its a long up hill to the summit... then a little winding road to the bottom and your almost there...

But then again... the front is better than it was years back with the "over hang" bolders on the canyon up to lake...

Might could use your 4x4 to get to the other side of the lake to some prime night fishing areas...

17. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    They did some work on the route thru the canyon it is not as bad as it was

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I remember driving there with Delta Lover and the road was terrible:eek:oooh: That wa 5-6 years ago.

19. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    yea some people say its terrible!!!:big_smile: but it keeps the rif-raff out:smile2:

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That is a major plus. Rif raft can damage a good fishing hole.