Let's get this kayak/canoe forum moving!

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Okay,

How many of you are out breaking ice to go kayaking? I'm not. :wink:

However, I have caught the fishing fever, and that means turning attention to tricking the yak for another season of fishing.

Some plans, with supplies already on order: wiring my kayak, install anchor trolley, and install tool strapping.

I have two Lithonia Lighting Emergency Exit Batteries (6 Volt, 7 Amp) connected in series for 12V supply for my fishfinder. I plan to provide a 9V battery clip charger port that I can connect a trickle charger to so that I don't have to disconnect the batteries to charge them. I also realized that I have enough power to probably power both the fishfinder and all lighting on the boat. I can imagine flipping a switch and "lights on!"

I am finding that an anchor trolley is a must-have for fishing in the wind. I'll try this first, then I may add a drift sock later if I find it necessary.

I then saw a really neat idea in a e-mail "magazine" for this month, where someone installed 2" nylon strapping along the console, leaving the strap just loose enough to insert various fishing tools. The tools are no longer under foot or hanging off your PFD to get in the way. Not only this, but the strapping provides another place to connect a few more bungees when necessary!

Happy yak tricking! :cool2:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Okay...I looked for yaks @ the Tulsa Boat Show...not much there, so I'll prolly go over to Fayetteville and Springdale next week...I want to look at a Tarpon 12, and a Redfish.

How do you choose paddles? Is shorter better?

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Both my kayaks have been hanging on the wall since October. I want to fish so bad but the lack of work and money keepum hanging there.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have almost decided which one to buy, just got some more bills to pay.

5. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Dave,

Being a Redfish owner myself, I can certainly vouch for that kayak. Heritage makes good boats. The angler version is well appointed; in fact, I purchased the kayak, placed on top of the SUV, then headed straight to the lake!

As far as a paddle length goes, be careful. Fishing kayaks are generally wider for stability and require a longer paddle. Usually a 230 cm paddle is standard, with the shortest paddle for shorter people at around 210-220 cm.

Also, if you plan on going solo, don't forget the kayak cart; they are great back-savers, and help protect your investment too!

Check out kayakfishingstuff.com for not only good price-point comparisons, but also great value packages (check out their silver, gold, and platinum value packages).

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I need to dust off the Mad River!

7. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am itchin' to get mine wet.

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Jeremiad, nice thread!

The anchor trolley is essential in my opinion for kayak fishing. I have a trolley system rigged on my ride 135 and my tarpon 120. Speaking of the tarpon 120, I just finished rigging it, it now has a trolley, flush holders behind the seat, a scotty triple mount and an eagle fishmark 480:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/Yakdawg/Tarpon/100_0674.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/Yakdawg/Tarpon/100_0664.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/Yakdawg/Tarpon/100_0675.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk153/Yakdawg/Tarpon/100_0676.jpg

So far I am very impressed with the 09 tarpon. I do not use scupper plugs in it and the cockpit stays dry! The kayak is very stable and tracks well for a twelve foot boat. Looking forward to catching many bass, stripers and cats from her soon!

9. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yakdog, I have the same ride 135 without the equiptment bar. I bought off a guy who was to big for the ride believe or not. He had a depth finder installed but he kept the battery. How is your battery installed?

Pat

10. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yakdog the wife is looking at the trapon 12. What is the difference in paddling it compared to the ride?

11. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Hillbeach:

I use a 12v 7amp sealed alarm battery, you can get them at Radio Shack or hobby stores. I use alligator clips to connect the wires to the battery, very fast, and surprisingly they stay hooked up even in 30mph winds and 3-4foot whitecaps. To keep the battery in place, I just glued a storage container to the bottom of the hull in front of the transducer.

About the Tarpon 120:

It is a great boat, compared to the ride it's a bit more tippy, but still very stable. It is a bit faster than the ride and easier to retrieve stuff from the tank well. The ride has way more room in the cockpit. The tarpon is much drier than the ride, with the scupper plugs out, very little water comes in.

Hope that helps, the Tarpon 120 would be a great boat for your wife. It is also very good in narrower rivers, allthough, I have had the ride in some class 2 rapids, it handled them ok, but took a huge nose dive that sent water rushing over the whole boat! Man that was fun:smile2:

12. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lookin' good Dawg.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Been tempted to take my ultimate 14.5 on an ice breaking mission at the local lake. I am very ready to get my yak on some cats again.

14. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Glad to see all the interest in Yaks out there. It won't be long before I have mine back on the water.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dawg, I just ordered a T120...can't wait!

Coupla questions...how do you fasten stuff to a Tupperware boat? What adhesives work? What about sealants?

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

It depends what your attaching. I used rivets on my pole holders. My anchor trolly is just a bolt with a circle on the end and I just bolted it on the inside of the hull. My portable fishfinder is held on with velcro, and the thing that sees the fish (cant think of the name this early in the morning) can be attached with clear silicone. My flag is in my milk crate and I have a few extra poll holders in their too.

17. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Dave,

Check out wellnuts. These are the easiest way to get a watertight seal, although you can use nuts and bolts with a little Marine Goop, too. The nice thing about wellnuts is that they don't require access from the inside. They are basically rubber grommets with metal inserts that expand when tightened much like a drywall anchor, in principle.

18. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    This is a great idea. I went one step farther, using spring spades clips that are available at Home Depot (or Radio Shack, etc.) that crimp onto the wire. Just press the clips onto the battery spades.

I also have a polarized female plug that I am planning to install to the kayak. I will also install a male plug onto my charger. This makes for easy battery recharging during the summer, at times when I don't want to remove the batteries--just plug in the charger, then plug the charger to the yak... A child-proof outlet plug (the plastic kind that protect your outlets from little fingers) can be used to keep moisture out of the plug.

19. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    By the way, those are some great looking rigging pictures!

I'll update my photos as soon as I complete my spring rigging tasks!

20. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Congrats on that new Tarpon Katman!

For fastening items to your kayak you can use stainless bolts (my preference if I can reach inside) make sure to seal them with a little silicone. I use aquarium sealer. Many people also use plastic cutting boards on the inside of the boat to ad more strength. I don't.

If I can't access the underside of where I want to mount something, I use rivets, 3/16 inch, but not the metal kind you get at lowes, order some from captdick.net or kayakfishingstuff. I also use some sealer when installing these.

For mounting your transducer to your hull for a Fishfinder, I use a pool noodle filled with marine goop. Lexal also works well, some people even use vaseline.

IMPORTANT:
    Make sure you or your wife paddle the kayak before mounting anything! Once you add something it is hard to take it away! You only want to drill once!

Good luck!