Let's get some reel talk started Abu Garcia 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Feeding Frenzy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Feeding Frenzy

Feeding Frenzy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Send your favorite pic's and story's:big_smile:

2. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Well, I don't have a 6000, but my fishing partners use them and swear by them. I put bearings in a couple of them for a little extra casting distance.
    I like the 6500 and 7000 series myself. And I'm a sucker for any Abu that has the word "Rocket" on it. I just bought a green Pro Rocket to put on a Catfish Safari Flathead rod that has green wraps. I even bought some green Sufix braid last night in OKC to spool it up with. Doug

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Dont hate me! GO PENN!!!!!! LOL!! dont worry ABU is my second favorite,

Steve

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I bet Flathead Steve is green with Pennvy! I just had to take some pictures of my new toy.:wink:

Attached Files:

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Abu 7000 ic3 the best ive ever owned bar none.

6. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    My wife and I were into trolling for walleye back in the late 60's at Lake Meredith in the Texas Panhandle. We bought two of the red 6000's for that purpose. Guess what? after 40 years, they are still alive and kicking. I use them regularly, and by regularly I mean on every trip, for catfish from the boat. They are still top-notch reels. Just like the Energizer Bunny, they keep going.......and going........and going.

If you maintain them properly, keep them clean and lubricated, I don't think you can wear them out, and if I ever should, replacement parts are readily available. I also have two more 6000's, much newer of course. A 6500c3, and a 5600c4. Get the idea? I love Ambassadeurs.

I also have two Penn GTI20's, and a Shimano Cardiff 200, also very good reels.

Everyone has their favorites, but if it is a well made reel you can't go wrong. My personal rule of thumb is DON'T GO CHEAP!! You do get what you pay for.

7. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    I've still got and use 5000's and 5500 c's from back in the late 60's and early 70's that I still use today.

8. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'm still using a 6000 that I've had for 15 years. I think its going to last at least as long as I do. You can't arguy with that. I'm also still using an abu 5000 that I've had since the early 70's. It has the pearl handled knobs on it. The bearing are a little noisey but I can still throw it a country mile.

9. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we like the 6,000 and the 6,500 models, they are easy to use and you can find parts for them. i`ve seen pictures of the new 6,600, i don` t like the changes that have been made to them.

10. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i have 6 of them, great reel if it has the power handle, the factory handle isnt quite enough for catfishing, bit the 6500s come with the power handle

11. Feeding Frenzy

Feeding Frenzy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great!

Guy's keep the stories & pic's coming I'm working on putting together a good story my self. Going to use bit's of every thing I get to send to ABU GARCIA
    for like a big thank you story. When I am done I will post the story before sending it in.

Thank's
    Billy Jack

12. Punkinsdad

Punkinsdad New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm sold on the Garcia. I love the clicker. It has saved quite a few fish.

Thanks

13. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great reels! only thing that I ahve done is put power handles on them that you can order from Cabelas.They are around $15.When you are working a good fish,not having another knob hitting your hand every time you turn the handle helps lot.

14. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    6000's & 6500's are my choice of reels they are tough, every now and then you have to replace a line pawl but if you keep them oiled thats not a big price to pay for a quality reel.I have had some of my reels for a long time, I have around 15 and they get used quite often plus I'm pretty rough on them they really don't get the cleanings as often as they should. I would reccomend them to anyone who is looking for a good reel.

15. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've got 2 of the 6000's my best reels but the line capacity leaves a little to be desired. Good for the small river fishing I do most of the time but if lake fishing where casting distance is a must I am looking at the 7000ic3.

16. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

I'm not too impressed with the changes either. The new ones look cheap. I went to walmart Friday to buy another one for my fishing trip that weekend, and saw them,then decided to not buy one. Anyone have the new style reel yet? Do you see any difference in performance?

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    The new Abus seem to be a bit smoother, but IDK about quality. I do like my 6000 and my 7000 though! Some day, I'll own my dad's 10000!

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I really dislike fishing with heavy reels, but don't like the idea of losing a nice fish because I'm under-gunned. Ambasadeurs are little reels, that fish big.:big_smile:

19. Big Guns

Big Guns New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I plan on picking up a few myself.

20. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I have 4 of the new style 6600's. They are smooth and cast great. I'm not really fond of the new bait clicker switch though. It's located lower than the 6000 and can be a bit difficult at times to turn on or off.