Lets get some Blues in the St Johns River

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by Matt77, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    I took the liberty to send some emails out about getting Blue Catfish stocked in the St Johns River. As there are only Channels in it for now, LOL!!! I think its a good idea because it can help boost our economy, provide jobs, and more entertainment. We got Flat Heads up in the Pan Handle by some dedicated fisherman who obviously wanted them there. And they will probably work their way south in a matter of time. But we can do this the proper way. If you would like to help here are some agencies that have the power to make it happen.
    1 Association of Fish and Wildlife
    info@fishwildlife.org
    2 Future Fisherman Foundations
    adanielski@asafishing.org
    3 American Sport Fishing Association
    info@asafishing.org
    4 Fish America
    fishamerica@asafing.org
    5 Florida Freshwater Fisheries Management Offices
    rae.waddell@MyFWC.com
    You can type one letter and copy it and send it to all 5 agencies in a matter of minutes. Thanks for your help,
    Matt

2. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Matt,

Are you sure there aren't any in there now? They said flatheads weren't in the Yellow - until I caught one. They said blues weren't in numbers or size in the Apalachicola until we landed a 28 pounder last year and then a 32 and 34 followed a few weeks later. But, I agree with you, if they aren't there now, would be nice to get'em there, and I think they would grow nice in there to.

A river without blues is like a day without sunshine pilgrim!

Count me in sending out some emails - thanks for the post and the agencies to contact!

3. weinerdog

weinerdog New Member

State:
    Florida
    I enjoy the flathead fishing in the panhandle but am starting to wonder what the long term effects will be. They seem to be taking over everything and my catches of bream and channel cats has been much lower the last 2 years.

In fact last year, I caught more flatheads (on cut bait) than I did channel cats.

I hope our "dedicated fishermen" haven't created a monster..............

(But then again, maybe the gators will keep the flatties from getting to prolific. The areas I've read about that have problems with flatheads don't have alligators! They've got to be eating them. They're just too juicy and delicious to pass up! Hmmm...............just thinking out loud.)

4. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I have been catching blues in the stjohns river for 35years Try around the weikva river mouth in mayor run up the weikva to the second creek to the right and sit and watch you can see them swim by.
    bewell crmule

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yep, I've caught Blues in the St Johns and Dunns creek down around Palatka. Good sized ones too.

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Caught last year at the end of French ave .OC fl by my Grandson
    be well mule

Attached Files: