lets get excited about catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Shane122370, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Shane122370

Shane122370 New Member

State:
    Adamsville,Alabama
    come on guys lets get alabama on the boards:big_smile: lets talk catfishing where they at, what are they hitting ,wheres the big ones around forestdale alabama ?

2. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Hey Brother hilljack
    I 'm trying hard to find those big cats..I set out all day wednesday.and only caught 1 blue and 2 gar..I was trying some new holes and large live bream...And today ive got some friends checking out the flathead holes and they have been there 7 hrs and no flats just gar..Some im looking too

3. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    A friend of mine just watch a young kid(15) and his uncle catch a blue cat around 30- 35 lbs off the boat dock..had to drag the fish to the ramp side to get it in..The boy said he was fishing with a 2 hook rig with minnows and 4 oz lead on a heavy spinning reel on the bottom. lol

4. Shane122370

Shane122370 New Member

State:
    Adamsville,Alabama
    they must like lots of led :smile2:

5. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I would like to see more of us Alabamians talking fish more often. I fish Logan Martin and have been having reasonable luck in and around Choccolloco creek and the main river channel below I-20 bridge. I have been targeting 25-35 ft of water and have been using shad primarily for bait. Cut and live seem to be equally succcessfull this year and I have harvested many teens and about 10 in the 20 plus range the biggest one this year has been 35lbs so far but I would like to hear how other folks are doing on Logan Martin as well. I heard somewhere on Logan somebody caught one 90 plus lbs but have not seen any proof or talked to anybody that has seen one this big yet this year. I only fish rod and reel but see lots of jugs out and wonder what is being caught...

6. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    i've only caught little wons this year, Been a strange year ???? weather I guess

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its nice to see an active thread in Alabama. I am not a true "bama man" but I sure like to fish the Hooch. Seems like all the good ramps are on the Alabama side! Hope to see you all out there

8. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I have to fix a truck first, then I can tow the boat to Smith lake and leave a set overnight.
    I might try mooching some Chicken livers in the low gully's in 30' of water just off the streams coming into the lake.
    Good idea?

9. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    i am the friend that was he was speeking of. It was a nice 30 pound plus blue that was caught on a crappie shinner at the boat landing at bull dogs bait and tackle

10. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    The lake never hel the 90+ that it held last year. It seems hard to get the big cats to stay in any one place. I guess as it gets colder maybe the big ones will slowly gang up in the main channel but for now it looks like hit or miss.

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those big ones were laying tight the last time I was out. I bet all that rain has them moving however. Just curious what the water temp is right now. Has anyone been out in the last day or so

12. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    thursday night was 78 degrees just south of columbus

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks brother, that is great news. I am curious to see how this affects the fish patterns over the next week or two

14. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    With that kind of temps we should have some good catches

15. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I like fishing when the temps are in the mid-70's for the good fall bite. Fish are going to be real active and aggressive. Then as it cools more, they will start fattening up for winter............................... even though winter never really comes down here!:wink:

16. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have seen the water temps fall to the 70s just to rise back to the low 80s again. I think they will stay this year though and we may have a cold winter (I hope)

17. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    Water temps are key as far as I am concerned. Logan Martin is holding in the mid 80s but when the 90s settle in I seem to catch a lot more in feeder creeks in 20 to 35 foot of water. I cant wait for the water to get into the 70s cause they seem to school up better in the main channel in 20 to 25 foot of water on Logan.

18. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    The creeks temps were in the high 70s and I boated one 30lbr Sat afternoon. No small ones but lost one other big one, had to be 50 or 100 lbs...

19. Shane122370

Shane122370 New Member

State:
    Adamsville,Alabama
    im gonna give logan martin a try on 9-9-09 thru 9-11-09 havent fished that lake in yoars any tips we are gonna be camping at logans landing that weekend any pointers are welcome:big_smile::0a23:
    oh by the way whats legal at logan martin jugs, troutline ,????????

20. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I fish the upper lake, actually the mid lake more than down by the dam. I dont know how far you want to come up the river but can give some real good pointers on the river between I-20 and Rabbitt Branch. I suppose the dates you put in were for October? If so make sure and bring your crappie rods as the crappie are starting to get a little frisky and that would be a good weekend to catch some super slabs on Logan in between wearing out your arm haulin in the big blues.