Lets do some shopping...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SusquehannaCats, Feb 14, 2006.

1. SusquehannaCats

SusquehannaCats New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey guys..

On saturday my friend and I are going to be taking a trip to Cabelas in Hamburg PA...I have been looking through the catalog and I cant wait to go...What I am looking for is some suggestions..I plan on spending a decent amount of money and would love to get some input from the smartest guys on the web!!! I fish the Susquehanna River in NY..Cats arent grown here like there down south so keep that in mind..I am looking for some new rods...some new reels..shucks..basically everything..I am going to compile a bit of a shopping list from your guys suggestions...Thanks alot for your input and I look forward to reading your suggestions..

Tony

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Need a place to start. Do ya have a boat?

3. SusquehannaCats

SusquehannaCats New Member

State:
    New York
    No sir..strictly bank fishing...I sure as heck would like to be able to afford a boat..but college loans are kicking my behind...I am looking more for terminal tackle..rods..reels(spinning and casting)..all the small junk..but I want loads of it..just looking to stock up for my first real season of catfishin...I also fish for bass....Thanks again..

Tony

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya have never been to cabelas before it can be a bit over whelming. LOL! Seein how ya bank fish and are interested in conventional reels I would go with the Ammbassadeur reel line. I don't bank fish very much but, for casting ability they rank pretty high. As far as rods go the ugly stic is a good choice,somethin in the M/H range one piece at least a 7 footer. Fishin line I would go with Berkley Big Game. As far as terminal tackle is concerned thats a matter of preference also and the type of cat ya are targetting. I use only 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles. Also don't forget to toss yourself in a good tackle bag. One with a good strap so ya can hang it over your shoulder to free up a hand for the walk to the bank to fish.

Lots of the items ya are talkin about can be had from our sponsors.
    I gotta admit though that a trip to cabelas is hard to pass up to get gear cause its nice to hold items in your hands before purchasing.

ENJOY THE TRIP! I"M SURE YA WILL! ALSO MAKE SURE YA HAVE A BUFFALO BURGER IN THE CAFETERIA! MMMMM GOOD! LOL!

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tony, if I was going to do a lot of bank fishing, I would choose mostly spinning gear. There are two reasons that I would choose spinning equipment, one is that most people in general can cast them farther and spinning equipment tends to be more tolerant to sand and grit than most casting equipment. If I were choosing equipment for cats mostly in the 20lb and under class I would choose medium or medium heavy, something that would hold a good bit of 10 to 20 lb line. The ugly stick cat is a good all around rod for the money and is durable enough for years of use. As for a reel, I like a spinning outfit with a 100% percent anti-reverse, that way you are guaranteed not to have slop in your hook set, as long as you are tightlining. This means getting a reel that doesn't have a trigger, because most of them swing back to a point where the trigger can be reached from the upright position. Reels with triggers are developed mainly for doing alot of casting, such as for bass. A front or rear drag is sufficient, although I prefer a drag that makes a nice clicking sound when it is slipping so that I know when to reel and when not to reel. Just a few ideas to ponder. Good luck on your shopping. Vern

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will make some suggestions...For baitcasting reels I would stick with ABU Garcia 6500's, for spinning reels, a shimano baitrunner 4500....For rods, something 7-8ft Medium heavy action, ugly sticks are good...Make sure whatever rod you get has a ceramic insert in the tip guide...You can get everything you want from our sponser catfish connection, at cheaper prices than cabelas, but the trip will be worth it.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Take a good shot of liquor before you go inside so you will calm down a little.

I would buy the reels online. You can save 10%-15% and they are cheap to ship. Spinning or baitcasting is up to you. Baitcasters hold value better, especially the Abu Garcia reels. As stated earlier the 6500 is a great reel. The older red 5000's are available online for around $30, and you can find parts fairly easy for them.

Get your rods there, or at Wal-Mart. I like the Ugly Stiks. One piece if you can haul them, two piece if you need to break them down to fit them in the car. You can find rods online, but the cost for shipping them usually offsets the savings.

Get all your terminal tackle there. Better selection of quality stuff than you will ever find at Wal-Mart.

You may have to go to the saltwater area for the circle hooks, and get them 4/0-8/0 depending on how big the hogs are that you want to catch.

Buy some heavy duty swivels there. You can select them by weight rating.

Get a big 1000 yard spool of Ande saltwater line. I use the bright yellow. 15-20 pound should work for the majority of your applications.

Get some heavier leader line, probably 35#-50#.

If you have the time and desire buy you a sinker mold for making your own lead weights. It will save you money in the long run, but just be safe when you make them. Otherwise, you can grab you a good selection of sinkers while there. Start at one ounce and go up to about three ounce, that should cover you.

Throw away the forked sticks and buy some real rod holders to protect the investment in rod and reels. Keeps them out of the dirt and out of the river!!

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Oh man wish I was going! I just got there new master catalog! They got the selection alright. Wouldnt be hard to spend the cost of a small boat, on "terminal gear". In fact, they have boats! For reels, I would check ebay, you can find brand new quality reels at about 60 percent of cost! Also our sponsor "Catfish Connection" does have some excelent deals, just for catfisherman! Anyway enjoy your trip to Cabelas and eat something before you go. It's not good to shop on empty stomach!