Let's Discuss Fall Water Temps!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Folks, surface temps which most of you go by don't mean sh*t! in the fall!!! They fall and raise as fast during day and night. You all figure out the rest!:wink: Fall bite lasts longer than a surface temperature! rollo

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would agree 100% surface temps change hourly when the sun comes up till it goes down. The catfish are mostly bottom dwellers,relating to structure( rocks, timber, holes in the bank or bottom). So why worry about surface temps in the fall?? I would prefer knowing what water temps are at the bottom myself.

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    couldnt have said it better myself except one small thing. this may be 100% true when it comes to a river or body of water that is lets say 20-60 ft deep. but when fishing in a pond that is around 10 ft or so the water will be right around what the surface temps are.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In a shallow river like I mostly fish- I always figured the water temps are pretty uniform? Maybe even a little warmer on top if any thing? I'm completely guessing on this though.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hawgmaaster, have you ever swum at a pond/lake beach in the heat of the summer and found cold spots around your feet in only like 4 ft of water? I can tell you that ponds do differ a lot in temps. my pond is about 12 feet deep and in the summer, surface temps will be around 80 and when i cast my thermometer out to the center and let sink to the bottom, then reel in real fast and check it, it is sometimes over 10 degrees different. Also good to know about how lakes and ponds "turn over" in the spring and fall since colder water is heavier them warmer water, also has a lot to do with oxygen and thermocline stratification. Good subjet to educate folks on around these parts....

Salmonid

6. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    def gonna look more in to this now lol thanks salmonid!

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

maybe true for larger river systems but one shower here on the gmr is enough to change the whole river temp.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If this be the case, why do people catch fish through a hole in the ice on ponds and lakes in the winter???:confused2::confused2::wink: It's warmer in them thare depths my friend.:wink::smile2::smile2:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i really figure the fish are going by the temps at the depth they usually haunt.which triggers the fall bite.heck,even in the summer,if they went by surface temp,and the way the weather was this year,they could of had quite a few fall bites this year.