Lets Change The Law!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bro_catfish, Jan 21, 2006.

1. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    OK, I'm unsure how to go about this but I'd be willing to do all the foot work and I'm sure it wouldn't cost a lot.

I propose to start a petition, write letters, see the Governor or whatever it takes to change the limit of only two rods per person while fishing. It's a dumb law and as a fisherman over the age of 16 I have been zapped for a fishing license every year, I pick up my trash, I don't take over my limit, I practice catch and release and I help other fisherman (as do most of us). Ohio is one of the few states that has a two pole policy, many other surrounding states allow more poles by far. I think that Kentucky is unlimited! Upping the pole limit would only increase our chances of catching fish--there is no ecological ramifications.

Let's take a stand and in an intelligent way do what we can to make it at least three or four poles per person. What do you say?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I say it would be a good thing for folks responsable enough to handle it.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think your right, but if we are allowed extra poles i beleive we should have to buy an extra pole(or two) stamp or something. i break that rule all the time (shhh!). i beleive that rule was put in place to keep folks from hoggin up spots and fishing out bodies of water. those types arent going to buy an extra pole permit,stamp, or whatever, let alone a liscense. i come across a LOT of people who havent bought a liscense in years. as a matter of fact i havent seen a game warden in years, and all the years i've been fishing (20+) i have been checked only three times! in a way i beleive it is a silly rule, but then again it is necessary to keep those #@#$#@#$ from hoggin up all the spots and cleaning out the fish. maybe the extra revenue could pay for an extra "warden" to run those non-liscense fishermen off.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

in kansas you can get a stamp for a third rod permit but thats the max

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have seen this come up at a DNR open meeting a few years back. All that was said was we will get back to you. But I think it owuld be nice. The question I asked was" Why do we have to use only two rods with a limit of three hooks each by the law... Can we use 3 rods with 2 hooks each or even 6 rods with one hook each? Of course, it got passed up. But I would like to get something going with it.

6. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio

Or guy`s that fish with more poles than allowed

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I don't think i have ever seen a game warden and i have been fishing for years of cousre i get it around the 2 pole rule take the kid and wife fishing
    all she wants to do is read and son is only 4 so i have usually 4 to 6 poles in at once but i would be willing to help in southern ohio about getting the law changed things happen in numbers one gets ignored but how can you ignore thousands of us

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am curious. What is the fine for fishing with more rods then allowed? Here in Calif more then one rod in the river is around 300 bucks the first time, the second is more and if you get caught a 3rd time you may end up in prison!

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Im unsure what the fine would be but its far more than I would like to cough up. The whole thing kinda rubs me the wrong way , Ive broken the law by fishing with three rods , But Im kinda jumpy anyway and I was so nervous I ended up catching one fish and putting that rod up anyway
    I figure that anyone willing to break the 3 or 4 rod rule would just be the same one's doing it now with the 2 rod rule

11. cat73

cat73 New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    i definately has its advantages but i can remember a time last year i was fishing at dillon my son was there and a few other buddies that will remain nameless we sat there for two hours with two poles a piece in the water.nothig was hitting then out of nowhere my son got a good hit my 8ft baitcaster got a good hit and a long run and my 10ft spinning reel got a blast from another relm bending it olmost in half on a normal i usually help my son with his hits so i went over to help him 15 feet away i about lost my baitcaster that day and there was no way in hell i was getting the third pole which at the time was already bent in half. so my nameless buddy had to run 50 yards down the beach to catch that pole falling twice along the way(granted it was hillarious to watch )but taught me a good lesson that time like that im glad there is only a 2 pole limit but other times i wish it was more all that rule did that day was save me $150 that i might not have saved if i had 3 or more poles out there

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah I see your point Doug, But what about the times when you want to fish with more then one pole ..no one says you have to use 12 at a time
    And for your information I only tripped once and stumbled once :rolleyes:

13. cat73

cat73 New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    yeah dj i want to see the laws changed so lets find out how. Now you realize their way of cambatting the rules would have to be raising the fishing licence to some insane amount per year but i do know some people at the ohio DNR so ill look into it and see where it gets us

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I personally don't mind the 2-pole regulation, I think it's sensible. Some of the places I fish due to easy shore access would be absolutely unmanageable if every person there had more, and they definitely would. Some that fish the GMR in Hamilton now use 6 or 8, and I'm waiting for DNR Officers Serio and Ireland to catch up with them some night.

I know the boat guys (I used to be one) would use more if they could. I really don't have a problem with that, because you're pretty much in a confined setting, making it somewhat self-limiting. With KY license on the Ohio River you can use as many as you can handle from your boat.

What I don't understand is the "commercial" allowance for netting and trotlining huge fish in large numbers, sending them to ********. The bigguns surely can't have any commercial value as food, based on the local fish consumption advisories. These laws and regulations are antiquated, and should be updated to reflect modern stewardship values, promoting retention of trophy stocks to maintain and improve resources.

Just my $.02.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont mind the rule either to a point however I usually use a 3rd one to try and catch gills for bait. It really helps when my son is trying to bass fish and Im using his other one. :)

16. shovelheadwolf

shovelheadwolf New Member

State:
    ohio
    how about two big cat poles, two smaller bait poles(any thing other than cats). one lure pole, one cast net, a small firearm and a two hot chicks(for rebaiting and cooler duties). common sense is all we need, how about self governing. that would be AMERICAN!

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great Thread Started here, would also like to see another pole added.

18. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I agree an extra pole would be nice. But where I usally fish the idiots can't handle 2 poles without tangling in my lines. I just can't imagine having to cut that many more lines to get mine out of the mess. I wouldn't mind paying an extra fee for an extra pole. That seems like it would be the best way to do it, as a add on option. But knowing our state if they did pass a law like this they would raise everyones license by $15 or more. And you would not see any improvements anywhere. Just my opinion though.

19. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    It really doesn't make sense that you can use 2 rods with 3 hooks on each but can use bank, limbs and jugs as far as the eye can see. Why not just limit the number of hooks out. Not sure I could handle more than 3 rods out but it would be nice to have 3 or 4 dif. baits out as I only use one hook per rod.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am all for it, I say if the rod and reel fishermen can use only two rods in ohio, then the same for trotlines and jugs..two hooks for a trotline and only two jugs allowed.