lets be honest with no hate/bashing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Overkil, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Biggest I have kept so far is about 4lbs...it'll be interesting to see how long this thread goes before it spirals into the CPR debate...As long as anglers obey the law, it's there personal choice to keep or release...always interesting to see folks who spout off about choice until you make a choice they don't like...

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    9 pounds...is the biggest I have caught...I don't have a size prefrence on flatheads thats just the biggest one I have ever gotten...I keep all the flatheads I get tho...they taste the best :roll_eyes:

great thread lets see where this goes:big_smile:

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Only caught 5 my whole life, 2 2lbers, a 3lber, a 10 lber and a 32 lber, kept the 10lber let the rest go

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been fishing for flatheads for 32 years...I have never kept one.

Even when I first started fishing for them many years ago, I just thought that releasing them was the right thing to do.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I was still in high school I caught a 33lb flat that I kept. I used to keep them all until the freezer got stocked for the year. Once my family's freezer was stocked and the people whose land I fished had what they wanted I turned everything back. After fishing until 2 or 3 in the morning, or all night bed sounded better than cleaning fish most times.

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I've only caught 2 and they were pretty small and I returned them to the water.

7. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did keep a five one time years ago, my wife actually caught it bluegill fishing. Now I turn them back but was thinking I might keep a small one again just for a taste.

8. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never kept any.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I cannot recall keeping any flattys but that dont mean I havent . I have caught alot of fish over the years . I can say if I did it must not have big enough to remember ...lol . I only keep channels and blues around 10 pounds and under . I release all flatheads . I did keep 1 flathead this year he is about 5 inches and I have him in a 55 gallon fish tank in the living room ....lol .

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    never kept one in my entire life. if i gotta eat me some fish it's a channel around 8 pounds. I don't keep gamefish

11. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hope i dont make anyone mad but I keep them ALL! As far as i am concerned there is no better eating in the river than a big flathead. I am am more likely to let a big blue go than a flat they are just not as good eating. I will let small ones go dont get me wrong or if I dont need any fish for the house I will let EVERYTHING go.

That being said the biggest is only in the 20LB range thats about as big as i have caught.

12. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm sure many of you know that I'm a CPR guy for ANY catfish over 7lbs. I haven't kept any flatties yet. I keep hearing how good they taste, so I may keep one soon around the 5lb range. All my eating has been on channels. To be honest though, I kept a few big blues years back. I'm ashamed of it now.:sad2:

For those of you who read my other post on this subject, I WOULD PUNCH MYSELF IN THE FACE if I could go back!!!:angry::angry::angry: LMFAO:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The biggest flat I have ever kept was 0 pounds. I don't keep flats. Sometimes I keep channels but not very often.

14. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have not kept a flat my biggest was just under 10". I do want to get one between 5-10lbs and see what all the fuss is about. All I hear is that they are the best eating.

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's easy for me, I don't like seafood/fish, so I do not keep any fish. However, even if I did like the taste, a Flat would be the last fish on earth that I would kill. Especially a trophy sized Flat.

I fish for fun, and fun only.

16. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    When I was a kid we were very poor I kept what ever I caught or shot and there have been times several years back that what I caught or shot made the difference in having something to eat or not. The biggest flat I have caught is the one in my avatar and I ate it but all the fish in my freezer now are channels in the 2 to 5# area I do think its a good idea to release the big ones to help keep the big ones out there but have no doubt if we need food anything I catch is going to be ate. I hope this does not offend people but in my mind food on the table takes priority over cpr.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have released every flathead I ever caught.

Partly that's because I don't eat a whole lot of fish, and partly it is because by tghe time I started fishing for flatheads I was a grown-up and well past the stage of killing things just because I could...

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lordy, I had no idea so many have not/do not keep/eat flathead catfish! This is GREAT!! It's means lot's of gourmet eating for me! Thank you all very much. :smile2::wink:

19. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm right there with ya. buy my biggest flat was 36#s and was cought outta pay lake. Thank you paylake for alowing me to take my son fishing and stay within a few feet of the truck for the boy, alowing him some of his comforts to be close by while he injoyed a little of mine and having the big ol fish in there to make his night and leaving a for ever impression of that fishing expereince. boy will that make some folks mad!!:roll_eyes:
    I like to keep fish till the freezers full and that fish ate great too!!!!

20. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    look like were in for a big ol fish fry!!!!:big_smile: their leavin um all for us aint they:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: