Let them run with it or not

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I usually feel a flathead out before I yank to set the hook but, some people let them run for a while. I just want to get some other peoples point of view on which is better letting them run with it for a while or just wait until that pole bends to that point and then set the hook.

2. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I've had good luck picking up the rod as soon as he takes it and just letting him load my rod up and then set the hook. I know some people like to let them go with it, but i've never had a problem with it this way.

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i set the hook im to excited to let them run lol

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    i usually set the hook when I feel comfortable with the bend or I feel im going to loose my pole if I dont but some times those flats will piss me off when I loose a few so Ill change tactics by flipping the button just so they can take it but I prefer setting the hook off the bend. I think alot of times when I miss them its either a real small one or sometimes a turtle which can really get to you when you only got a few bluegill left.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Holding a fish like that in your avatar...you should be giving advice instead of asking for it. If you are using standard "J" hooks I would let them run a little then set the hook. If using a circle hook I would let them load up the pole with constant tension and then pick it up when you feel comfortable that the hook has done its job.

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    It depends on the size of the bait for me. If I am using big live bait, then I'll let him run a little. Just to make sure he has it completely in his mouth. Sometimes, they will stop running, and I will just slowly lift my tip til I can feel him on their swallowing it and then nail him.

It also depends on what kind of snags are in the area. If he is heading straight for a tree or something, you have to jerk before he gets there. Sometimes you will miss them, but if he made it to the tree you would miss him anyway.

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i get to excited and rip his lips off

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have missed a lot of flats by trying to hook them too soon. Most of my success comes from solid steady run before engaging the reel

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I always have my rods at an angle to the water, low to the ground, so my rod and my line form almost a 90 degree angle. It is much easier to tell if you have a bite this way. When I get a shake, I will pick it up. It is pretty much all feel from there. You can tell by feel exactly what he is doing with it 9 times out of 10. I will then follow him with my rod, in as smooth a motion as possible, keeping the line tight enough I can feel him, but not spook him. When my pole is as far as it can go, and line is straight out ahead, I cross his eyes! Or as my brother and I refer to it, swat the mayflies! (miss the fish)

I will say I hook 8 out of 10 bites I get though. My brother is the major bug swatter, he hits about 3 of 10! HA!:lol:

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I only use circle hooks, and for the most part let them load up right away and engage. Sometimes they bite a bit strange, for example last night I had one just nail my bullhead in one major THUMP! Then nothing, no clicker, no load up, nothing. The line was tight, but no movement. I waited a couple of minutes and picked up the pole out of the holder, gently sweep the pole and voila.....fish on. Turned out to be a decent one about 13-15lbs.

11. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Darren sums it up for me too. Using circles, I'm just waiting for the bow in my rod. 9 times out of 10, the hook is in and fish is on.

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I pretty much only use circle hooks and If I am picking up my rod its probably running. I engage the reel, let the rod load up and most of the time, Fish On!