Let the fun begin ...

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by SubnetZero, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My son and I picked up our first Pinewood Derby kit at his pack meeting tonite.. Should be an interesting experience hehehe.... I'll try to remember to snap some pic's as we progress through it... This will be our first car...

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tim,

Post the results, and have fun! :smile2:

You remember the days, your gonna be busy for a little while.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Tim, we will really be looking forward to seeing ya'lls project unfold and can't wait to see the pictures.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tim you are going to enjoy this and keep us posted.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Tim, that sounds like such a fun project. Like the others, I look forward to the photos :big_smile:

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I remember those days, good times. I went through it myself as a child and also with my two boys. I probably won't see it again till I get a grandson and that may be awhile.

Hint: the plastic wheels they give are not very round. Put wheel on the axle and hold it to a belt sander when sander is on for a short time letting the wheel roll with the belt.

Good luck.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Michael and I hammered out the design he wanted to use tonite.
    I drew up several ideas, he then had me tweak them to his liking :smile2:

Next stop is cutting...

Been reading up on alot of the speed tricks.. Seems its all in the wheels, axles, and weight...

Attached Files:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Man I remember those days. I actually won one year.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I remember one year we all decided to make go carts. that was the year that people were suddenly missing lawnmower wheels and plywood. We'd make a 2" x 4" wood frame with a plywood floor. the wheels were attached using trailer spikes (I lived in a trailer park until age 12, the spikes were used to anchor the trailor skirting to the ground) rope for steering and those smart enough to think of it, had a 2"x4" pressure brake (one kid I can recall forgot about brakes). we went to the top of the hill and had a look out at the intersection that was 1/2 way down the hill so we didnt die. If you didnt hammer the spikes in too deep, you got some serious speed. Of course we only got 1 or 2 trips before the older kids showed up and bullied us out of our work.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Today was the big Race.. Sorry I hadn't been updating this thread, been pretty hectic here..

We didn't take home any trophies, but we learned alot and had a complete ball... Best we did was placed 2nd in one of our heats.

After going through all now, I'm confident we can place in one of the top spots..I've already got some design and speed tricks in mind for next year after seeing how they run down the track and Learning a bit from some of the faster cars that were there today...

Anyways, Michael and I got to spend some great time together designing, cutting, and building this and THATS what it's all about....

Attached Files:

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My brother uploaded pix from the Derby if anyone is interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/midwestcc/MichaelSPinewoodDerbyJanuary2008

As a side note, My brother had entered a car for the "sponsors" race.. They allowed 10 businesses to pay $50, build and enter a car, and compete against each other. Winner got a "traveling" trophy they get to display at their business..

Uncle Matt had a side bet with Michael on who had the faster car. If Uncle Matt's was faster, Michael had to shine his shoes, If Michael's was faster Uncle Matt had to clean his room.... Michael Won! heh...

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Tim & Michael! I'm sure that you both have some great memories now :smile2:

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I, like many others that posted here, remember those fun days with first my son, and then my grandson!

My problem was I had a hard time letting my son and grandson actually do the building! Too bad that they don't also have a race for dads and grandpa's cars!!:roll_eyes:

Congratulations on wining 2 place in your heat.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations on the cart Tim. Enjoy any time you can with your son because once its passed you never get a second chance. Glad you both had a great time. :big_smile: