Let KDWP know your views on jug fishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by LBM, Jun 21, 2008.

1. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    The KDWP meeting on June 23 will be discussing allowing jug fishing in Kansas.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kd..._commission_to_meet_june_26_at_bethel_college

You might want to let the commissioners know your views on this subject even though not attending the meeting.

Here is their individual phone numbers and email link.
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kdwp_info/commission/commissioners

Or send your view to the office of the secretary at KDWP
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kdwp_info/contact_us

I have strong views on jug fishing and sure you folks might also so here is your chance to let them know what you think on the subject.

2. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What are some of the views held on "jug fishing"?

3. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think they need to put a stop to it. It is regular site to see people jug fishing on the flats at Milford lake. They use green 2 liter bottles and green chem sticks in them. You can see them from all the way accross the flats and the KDWP hasn't done anything about it.

4. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i agree ryan 100% i see it there all the time to:angry:

5. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    The reason KDWP hasn't done anything about it, is because as long as there are 2 hooks or less and are ANCHORED, they are legal. They can be detrimental for everyone if misused.

6. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have never even seen them check i guess its the chance they risk if they have more then two hooks on there...:big_smile:

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    It states that they are "amending regulations to establish requirements allowing jug fishing in Kansas". What are they changing? Is jug fishing allowed or not?

8. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    As of right now it is illegal. If established they would count towards the limit of set lines. So you get either 8 set lines, eight "free float lines" or a combination of the two. Also you could not use a jug to jug fish. It would have to be something that could not hold water such as closed cell foam or wood due to zebra muscles. To start it would only be at selected lakes and would cost $2.50 for the permit.
    Speak now and let somebody know your opinion or forever hold your peace.

9. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Anchored jugs are considered a setline. Free floaters are indeed illegal at this point, and are usually the ones that cause conflict.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What is the big deal about jug fishing

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Us R&R People get 2 poles 3 if we buy a permit Jugliners would get 8 jugs each also sometimes the fish on jugs have to be kept and it don't help the fishery much IMO.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my problem with jugs is if not tyed to something the fish is free to roam with it and if it takes it to a snag chances are it may be there till it dies. set jug lines are the same as a bank line to me. ok if maintained but not the perferd method of fishing. free floting jugs should definatly be frowned on.

13. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i agree kscathunter..in fact i found one tangled up in some brush at cheney last year back by the orchard cove it had a 7 or 8lb channel on it dead!! if gonna use them b smart about it..:smile2:

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have to say that in oklahoma it was fun but here there is definently not enough water like over there and the jugs would hurt the catfish population

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Kansas does not have the river systems, lakes, catfish population, or conservation officers to support jug fishing. Our biggest lake is Milford with approx 15-16 thousand acres. Compare that with a lake like Texoma with 90+ thousand acres. Who is going to police it? I have yet to see a conversation officer on the lake at Milford. I have seen him twice on land when I went to the state park.

At 8 jugs per person for example, a boat with 3 people in it can put out 24 jugs. Get just 4 or five boats doing this at the north end of Milford where most of the catfishing is done, and you cover the entire North side of the causeway with jugs. Doesn't take long to put a huge strain on the fish population.

If they want to make it legal, then set a limit of 3 jugs per person. And free floating jugs must be within site of the owner at all times. Not just set them out and come find them later. You already have to dodge anchored jugs on Milford now. I can only imagine dodging 10 times as many free floating jugs. Also they should be white or orange. I have ran over a couple of the black jugs before. You just can't see them till it is to late.

If you legalize it, you have to enforce it. You can not expect people to be responsible. It is just the way our society is. There are to many idiots out there.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Any word on what they said at the meeting ?