let fish run with line or have a tight line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jesseray, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    what do you think? keep your hand on the reel and just let him run with the line or have the line in place where it cant budge?

2. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I have recently changed my mind. I used to keep my lines with moderate success. i have been experimenting with letting the line hang more slack. i feel i have increased my hookups bu 60% or more. I believe that if it is tight i cant be more than a couple feet away to set the hook. if it is more slack i have more time to respond. I am probably re inventing the wheel so to speak. the guys on here can probably give you a more informed answer. good luck.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mostly tight line. i fish bank by reeling it to the point the tip just bends down and let the slight slack from letting off the handle of reel let tip back up.

fishing in boat whild drifting its tight line as your moving. and when i anchor off i let the line drift but i reel it when the line droops more than a slight angle from rod. i dont like letting fish grab and bite and get poked before i know there there.

sometimes when the fish is playing with it ill pick up the rod. ill let the reel in freespool and wrap the line around my finger or lay finger on it. i can feel each nibble or tug. and i tell my buddies with me after you catch enough that way you can tell and anticipate the tug where ya know hes got it. i catch many like that.

4. MoBSTa

MoBSTa New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree, I seem to have more hookups with a little slack in my line as well.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    In my opinion and thats all it is. Ya gotta consider the variables. What type of hook are ya usein. Kahle and circle will set themselves if ya tite line. Do ya like the sound of a screamin clicker? If so by all means free spool. The list can go on and on and be different for each person. I got my ways that work for me and folks have thiers. I like to free spool and not have to stare at rods all dam day or nite. LOL! Then again if the bite is not aggressive I change my approach. To me conditions dictate what I do.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I always try to have a little slack in my lines, not very much, but a tiny bit. With the clickers on my Penn reels being pretty stiff, a little slack shouldn't hurt. The Baitrunner I can adjust which I really like...

8. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I always keep a tight line with the way i rig my set up( 3way swivel with leader line, float and hook and then a lead line). I keep my line tight so that lead keeps tension on the main line so that the leader line can float and remain in the same location and swivel around a small area off the bottom. However I turn the clicker on and loosen my drag wheel and hit the release button so when a fish hits it there isn't alot of tension for the fish to feel resistance until I am ready for them to set the hook. What I do is when they begin to run, I turn my clicker off and place my thumb on the spool just enough to let line run out but not enough to let the fish know that I am there. This whole time my pole is still in the pole holder. Now that the fish is running with a free spool and I can control the overspin, I pick up the rod and continue to let them run. When there is enough slack or if they pause, I lock my reel down and let them set themselves. Then the fight is on.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have a few diffrent way i set my rods up. i leave my line pretty slack on my baitcaster, mainly because i have the bait clickers on them. that way when the fish run i know they are on there and can get to them and set the hook. on my spinning gear i keep a fairly tight line. not extrememly tight, but not more than a foot of slack out. i havent missed a fish on either one yet. so i guess its all up to personal preference.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey when im fishing I always keep my button pushed in and let them run some before I hook them I have tryed it before with tight line but it seems like they get off easier and if your not careful it will jerk your pole in the water, Least when you have your button pushed in you can let them run some and wear themselfs out.

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    The rivers i fish flow good so i fish tight lines lol.