Let 'er sink!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Jul 13, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am sure most already do this, or know to do it, but another thread got me to thinking, and I had to teach my son to do it, so maybe the younger brothers can get something from it......

When you throw your line in, especially if the water is deep, be sure to leave your reel disengaged and even pull out a little line until your bait sinks all the way to the bottom. Doing this will allow your bait to fall nearly verticle. If you engage your real as soon as it hits the water, it will fall in an arc, back toward you, as there is not enough line to allow it to fall or sink verticle. I can remember when I was young, it drove my Dad CRAZY that I would always forget to do this, and my bait would end up about 5 feet in front of me.

Just something to think about! And teach the youngins, which is what fishing is really all about!:big_smile:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jeff, that is a good post for beginning fisherman. Allow a few seconds for the bait to sink. Then enguage the reel.

3. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great lesson for the beginners....still trying to teach the wife that.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All excellant points. May I add one. When you do this as described the bait will be where your original intent was to put it.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been fishing ever since my grandpa was alive,back in the 50's and 60's and I never once thought of this. Thank you so much! From now on,I will use this info! I really appreciate this site,there is sooooooooooooo much info,such valuable info,I for one really appreciate all you guys!:big_smile: pk powell

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Good tip. I know I didn't do that when I first started out.

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    With my grandson I have just the opposite he forgets to engage his real. He is only 4 though and learning fast.

8. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Great tip for beginners. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention it before since I have been on this site. Guess, many of us who know to do that, just take it for granted that everyone else knows.

So, I will add to your "rep" for that simple but much needed tip for beginning fishermen.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I remember learning that one a while back. Way to help brothers out!

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Don't forget to take into consideration the current when placing your cast. In high current areas cast a little before the spot your looking at to let the current help place it and use no role sinkers.

11. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the reminder. Thats why my bait keeps falling short.
    :waaaht:

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    very good tips

same here IL

13. Mudville

Mudville New Member

do it here also, and my pops was on me about it to.lol. i usually back fish so what i do is cast leave it open let it sink then let line out till i get back to my seat. then wait a few more seconds before realling it tight. this way it don't lose depth.

14. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Great tip, I forgot about that one :lol: