Lessons Learned....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Capt_Culver, May 12, 2008.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    After a short phone call with one of the more valuable members of this board, (Thanks to you!) my crew and I headed for the Muskingum River Saturday night. As with any new adventure, our expectations were rather limited. We weren't really going out there to load the boat with new personal bests for all of us....but more or less the mission was homework. It was my first time on this river since the Fall of 2002.....but, I was duckhunting at that point and wasn't really concerned with the fishing capabilities of that river.

Lesson #1) This ain't your daddy's creek! Having grown up on the Scioto River, we have never really traveled anywhere else to fish.....and we were rather naive about this river. Let me tell you....this river was FAST and STRONG. No problems, we had the right boats with enough power to make it work. I don't think I would want to be caught out there with anything less than a 50hp. We took 2 boats for safety reasons.....the new Lund handles perfectly on a moving body of water. We finally got the boats anchored with a little bit of time. This leads to lesson #2.

Lesson #2) I met some fine folks at my first ever sinker making gathering. (Thanks to all of those who showed me the ropes!) I am new to fishing for flatheads and was SHOCKED at the size of the weights....8 OZ's???? Are you kidding me? I'll just take a couple of those 3 oz weights, I will never need anything that big! WRONG! 3 oz weights just don't cut it on this body of water. We couldn't keep the baits positioned where we wanted them. We tried to position the baits upstream of a log jam or hidden structure only to watch the baits get swept directly behind the boat. Hmmmm, this isn't going to work. Pick up anchors and keep looking for an eddy...which, by the way, are few and far between on that river....especially when it's swollen. Finally found some calmer water behind an extrusion in the river. OK, now we are finally set for the night. Where we parked our boats was behind an underwater island. There was one live tree that was poking thru the water. We did some searching and found a 30 yard radius of 2 foot water. Downstream of this, it quickly dropped to a 12 foot flat with some submerged structure. We thought we found the right spot....slow water with underwater structure...with a fast current on the outside bringing in the food source. I knew it was the right spot on my first cast. When my bait hit the water, around 15 shad spooked and surfaced. This is going to be a good night I thought to myself. Our weights finally held where we wanted them.

Lesson #3) The right Equipment is only a small fraction to the equation of ones success. We had the right equipment (besides the weights..haha) we had the right rods, reels, baits, boats, rod holders etc. We had frozen shad, fresh shad, live gills etc. But, all of that doesn't matter unless you have you the right technique...which we didn't have. I don't know if it's rigging or what. Maybe I'm reading into this too much.... I don't know. I read some other reports that the low barametric system that moved thru was the cause, but I still feel there is something more to this equation that I can't figure out....it's not as easy as casting your rod and cracking a beer. These are the things that I still have to learn....and it will take time and effort to learn them.

Outcome: We had one good run in our boat. Bait was dropped. The other boat had 3 runs. 1 hook up with a broke line on a small live gill. The fish surfaced and jumped out of the water. They weren't exactly sure what happened or what it was. But, speculation leads us to believe it was a huge small mouth (5 pounds or more) or a striper. (Are there stripers on that river?)

We didn't land anything, but it was a success in our minds as we learned from the expierence....which is the reason we went in the first place.

Happy fishing!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great report Josh,Your time will come just Keep at it and you will reap the rewards of your effort. J.D.:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it wasn't a very good night. and the river conditions were worsening as the night went on. i didn't do well either. likesaid the other day, let me know when you are wanting to come back down again. i will meet up with you and help you around. atleast you got out, that better than the couch and tv! lol...:big_smile: rollo

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good report Josh ... Lessons learned ... One point from my observations ... Usually at the beginning of a falling barometer they bite well .... but as low as it fell this time ... I am surprised that anything bit anywhere ... Good lesson, Poor night .... Stick with it ......... Garry- :cool2:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I had a wierd night on the Ohio River close to Pike Island also. I was in an active spot, Had already caught 3 smaller Flatheads before dark. The wierd part was that after dark, the bite stopped. I didn't changed anything to start with. The fish just quit biting for me. About 2am I gave up and left.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jeff ... that pretty well coincides with the rapid and low drop in the barometer .. Garry- :eek:oooh:

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Or if you let me handle the bait or throw it in or do anything resembling fishing there will be no bites :smile2:. And no rollo I didnt use Hotdogs :smile2::tounge_out:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    damn! you shot me down.:smile2: rollo

9. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    great report josh....we will keep after them don't worry. in due time we will get that river sorted. i am thinking if family allows and time and so on we head down on a friday and fish...camp or something and then hit it saturday again to make it worth our time. i will take my truck next time too, that way its only fair....and my boat too if need be...we will sort it out.

ben

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    And you thought we were using them 8 ouncers for paper weights. lol.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fished the same night, and ran 5 oz. weights to keep my bait down. when i talked to josh earlier that day I didn't see the river changing as much as it did. where he said he was heading, was slightly different water than i fish usually, but i was amazed that evening myself about the conditions... i guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!:wink: rollo

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Capt, I sat out in the rain friday night till around 11:30 or so with a buddy of mine. Kept thinking the rain would stop lol. Ended up with water over our ankles, no bilge. We had 3 runs on gills, I caught one 4 lb flat. The others dropped. Once the rain started nothing would hit.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Quality post. sorry it did not work our for you.

14. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Great report, very helpful. This summer will be my first trip to the Muskingum for flat head fishing. Ive fished it before but not for flatties. Anyways, great thread!!