lessons learned today...

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by thelastcast, Oct 22, 2008.

1. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i took a buddy o mine this afternoon on the outgoing tide & things were slow,but while he was reeling in a 5 pounder, we noticed the 3oz. slide sinker on his line was not sliding too well. So he gets the fish in the boat & we get excited,,forget all about the dang sinker ...& re-cast the same line (without inspecting or fixing the potential problem)...only to have "the big one" take his rod down 10 minutes later! He's enjoying a good fight, and then...... the line broke about 30 ft. from the boat.......what a heart breaker...you could've bought both of us for a dime..........water temp in high 70's at 5:eek:o pm around the b.p.... tighter lines next time,,,Randy

2. cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've learned similar lessons, more often than I'd like to remember. After pulling in a decent fish, I've gotten into the habit of changing the leader every time, and sometimes pulling out the first few feet of the line above the swivel. I go through a lot of 80lb test mono leader, but I can sleep much better since I land the fish more often than not. I've lost many decent fish because I wasn't paying attention or didn't have the right equipment.

My buddy doesn't have such luck. We were fishing once and he had a fish completely run his line out and break it off. He was left with a red face and an empty fishing reel. I still mock him about it.

Thanks

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You should ck your tackle all the time it takes a beating underwater all the time. u never know whats under the water that your line goes through. A slide sinker is always working on your line. Your should ck your line at least after each fish are snag.

Good luck on the next one

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Guilty. LOL! I don't go as far as Josh but after every trip all leaders and a good 5 to 10 yards of line is checked and changed if there is the slightest booger on it. :wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lesson learned. Most of us can relate to that but we want make that mistake again. Its called fishing and learning.:smile2:

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I retie most if not all of my leaders before each trip. And while fishing, I check the line after each fish or after pulling the lines in, to make sure they're not nicked. If they are, they get changed. I pre-tie extra leaders at home, so changing is as simple as tying one palomar to my swivel and I'm done.

7. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Another tip that has helped me to not have to retie knots all the time is to put one or two beads between the knot and the sinker you can get these at most craft stores.I have had some heart breakers get off too by not checking my line.I usually will check all my lines even beteen spots because the wind,current pulling on your guides will put a weak spot on your lines after a while.Good luck in the future.

8. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a three way and tie my leader to one, my line to one and a piece of light test line to one(this is the one I tie my weight t), and I have to re-tie a weight to it EVERY time we go fishing,(this is when I check my line for "boogers" ) because I am really anal about the weight beating up my rod and other rods with it on the way to the water. I cut the weight off when we come in off the water. plus, if I snag something, the weight is lower than the hook when its in the water, and the light test line will break, so I don't lose my whole rig.:wink:

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I think all of us who have been fishing for a while has had that same thing happen one time. But that was it, it only takes one b4 I don't make that mistake again. Check you lines each time you pull the bait to the boat.

Wheelmobile07

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Sounds very familiar to me as well. I learned that lesson along time ago and have never forgot it. Check and re-check :smile2: